Need help with a surprise

Discussion in 'iPad' started by UncleheFTy, Nov 27, 2011.

1. UncleheFTy macrumors member

Good morning all,

Next week my wife and I celebrate our Ruby aniversary and I am surprising her with an IPad2 on to which I hope to put a video-card that my Daughter in Law has compiled and edited. That last bit is relatively easy, the hard bit is getting the Ipad synched with my wife's three other apple devices without her knowing. For the record she has a MacPro, a Macbookpro and an IPhone (3GS) all of which are in use at some time during the day. The 'normal' way is to attach the Ipad to the user's machine and to set it up for them, but if I do that then I know that she will see a confirmation mail from Apple.

How do I do this so that she won't know until she opens the IPad box?

I too have three Apple devices - Ipad2, Macbookpro and IPhone (4).

So, for example, can I synch and upgrade the IOS on my macbookpro then change the identity just before I give it to her or is there some other way. BTW we both have me.com accounts too - quite an orchard what!

Uncle H

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Why Not

Set the iPad up, and put your nice greeting on it....Then tell your wife that the machine (the one you sync with) has a problem and needs to be off until it's fixed? Okay, its not ideal, but it might work....I'm in the same boat as you as far as products go...Iphone 4 4S Ipad2 MBA MBP apple tv.

If you can keep her away from that machine just long enough, you might be okay..:)

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Do you know her account credentials? iOS 5 allows for pc free setup, do that, she can sync later at her leisure.

4. UncleheFTy thread starter macrumors member

I managed to register the iPad without using her Apple ID, and I checked it on her macbookpro (she is out:D ) and it works,I also moved the app icons to the second page in Itunes so all she has on the front page is the 'Movies' app, which is where we will put the video-greetings-card.

Thanks to those who replied, this ancient old duffer managed to find his way through the labyrinth that is device set-up.

Ta very much

Uncle H

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

And She Is In

For a very nice surprise too!:)