Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uyenho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
I have a couple friends and they have two cell phone numbers(company gives them one), one he uses very often, and one he used when urgent. In the contact edit I see only home, work, fax,car, company main.... Is it any way to add in his contact like cell 1, cell 2, or work 1, work 2(easy to remember).... I googled and could not find any result, anyone have any good idea please give me some advice. Thanks

uyenho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Could you tell me how to do that? I tried but could not figure it out, please! thanks!

uyenho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
I think this option not work with ios 5, I tried but could not see the option custom label. google also said that this option not available for ios 5(work with ios4)? am I correct or I mis something?

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Open Edit in contacts, tap the phone or email label, scroll down to Add Custom Label.

:rolleyes:

Exactly correct. OP, after you choose the contact and then tap edit, scroll down to where you add telephone numbers. After you type in the number, tap on the name of the name: iPhone, work, home, etc. This will open up a bunch of different options. But if you scroll all the way down to the bottom of this list, the very last thing listed is "Add Custom Label". This is where you can call that specific phone number whatever you would like.

Yes this works on ios5. I'm on 5.1.1.

uyenho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Exactly correct. OP, after you choose the contact and then tap edit, scroll down to where you add telephone numbers. After you type in the number, tap on the name of the name: iPhone, work, home, etc. This will open up a bunch of different options. But if you scroll all the way down to the bottom of this list, the very last thing listed is "Add Custom Label". This is where you can call that specific phone number whatever you would like.

Yes this works on ios5. I'm on 5.1.1.
How come my ios is 5.0.1 doesn't have this option? I tried exactly what you said but when I roll down the end of the list still don't see "add custom label"(my last one in the list: ...."company main", then "radio": that's all)???? that's weird, do i need to change some setting to have this option?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
How come my ios is 5.0.1 doesn't have this option? I tried exactly what you said but when I roll down the end of the list still don't see "add custom label"(my last one in the list: ...."company main", then "radio": that's all)???? that's weird, do i need to change some setting to have this option?

Works for me on both iPhone4 and iPad2, both on 5.1.1.
First, you do this on the phone, not the PC.
Crossing my fingers that your ability to follow directions is better than your Google search technique (this is a very well known and well documented feature of the iPhone, any Google search for "custom contacts labels iPhone" would have given you this info (as I tested it)) !

Tap the label of the phone number (not the number, not the phone number itself) to open the label choices menu.

Open Edit in contacts, tap the phone or email label, scroll down to Add Custom Label.

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_0238.PNG
    IMG_0238.PNG
    110.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0239.PNG
    IMG_0239.PNG
    68.6 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:

uyenho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Works for me on both iPhone4 and iPad2, both on 5.1.1.
First, you do this on the phone, not the PC.
Crossing my fingers that your ability to follow directions is better than your Google search technique (this is a very well known and well documented feature of the iPhone, any Google search for "custom contacts labels iPhone" would have given you this info (as I tested it)) !

Tap the label of the phone number (not the number, not the phone number itself) to open the label choices menu.

I attach the screen shot of my iphone 4s, I am not lying, not sure what wrong with my iphone, but it has no option in custom label. that's totally different what I saw with your label in your iphone. My ios 5.0.1.
I tried my ipad 1, ios 4.3 and it has that option but not with my phone.
This is couple people complain about ios 5.0 without custom label:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3638312?start=0&tstart=0
http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php/showthread.php?t=102922

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    56.1 KB · Views: 159
  • photo_2.PNG
    photo_2.PNG
    443.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I have had custom labels available for some time.
I sync with an Apple computer (Address Book). Perhaps the difference might be if you sync with a PC (Windows Contacts) ??
Or perhaps a restore or upgrade to 5.1.1 is your best bet.

By the way, since Apple will be releasing iOS6 "momentarily", easiest to upgrade while Apple still signs 5.1.1

Good luck

uyenho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
I have had custom labels available for some time.
I sync with an Apple computer (Address Book). Perhaps the difference might be if you sync with a PC (Windows Contacts) ??
Or perhaps a restore or upgrade to 5.1.1 is your best bet.

By the way, since Apple will be releasing iOS6 "momentarily", easiest to upgrade while Apple still signs 5.1.1

Good luck

Thanks for quick reply, might be you are right, I sync my contacts from my PC, that might be the problem, I don't want to upgrade to 5.1.1 because my phone got unlocked, I'm scare to mess up baseband. I think I have to stand with it. But thanks a lot for your advice.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Whatever unlock you have (Ultrasn0w, Gevey, SAM or IMEI) can be retained in an upgrade to 5.1.1 firmware.

If it is a baseband dependent unlock, just make and use a No_BB IPSW
If it is a SAM unlock, copy the Lockdown folder and reinstall it after the upgrade
If it is an IMEI unlock, baseband is irrelevant.

uyenho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Whatever unlock you have (Ultrasn0w, Gevey, SAM or IMEI) can be retained in an upgrade to 5.1.1 firmware.

If it is a baseband dependent unlock, just make and use a No_BB IPSW
If it is a SAM unlock, copy the Lockdown folder and reinstall it after the upgrade
If it is an IMEI unlock, baseband is irrelevant.

I unlock with gevey, and I heard some people got problem with unstable signal, or it might take a long time to pick the signal? my phone signal very good right now, I am scared to mess up, but thanks alot for your info. I will take a look should I upgrade to 5.1.1 or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.