iPhone Need help with adding second cell phone!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by uyenho, Sep 11, 2012.

1. uyenho macrumors newbie

I have a couple friends and they have two cell phone numbers(company gives them one), one he uses very often, and one he used when urgent. In the contact edit I see only home, work, fax,car, company main.... Is it any way to add in his contact like cell 1, cell 2, or work 1, work 2(easy to remember).... I googled and could not find any result, anyone have any good idea please give me some advice. Thanks

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You can make custom labels for phone & email fields

3. uyenho thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you tell me how to do that? I tried but could not figure it out, please! thanks!

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Open Edit in contacts, tap the phone or email label, scroll down to Add Custom Label.

:rolleyes:

5. uyenho thread starter macrumors newbie

I think this option not work with ios 5, I tried but could not see the option custom label. google also said that this option not available for ios 5(work with ios4)? am I correct or I mis something?

6. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Exactly correct. OP, after you choose the contact and then tap edit, scroll down to where you add telephone numbers. After you type in the number, tap on the name of the name: iPhone, work, home, etc. This will open up a bunch of different options. But if you scroll all the way down to the bottom of this list, the very last thing listed is "Add Custom Label". This is where you can call that specific phone number whatever you would like.

Yes this works on ios5. I'm on 5.1.1.

7. uyenho thread starter macrumors newbie

How come my ios is 5.0.1 doesn't have this option? I tried exactly what you said but when I roll down the end of the list still don't see "add custom label"(my last one in the list: ...."company main", then "radio": that's all)???? that's weird, do i need to change some setting to have this option?

8. dhlizard, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Works for me on both iPhone4 and iPad2, both on 5.1.1.
    First, you do this on the phone, not the PC.
    Crossing my fingers that your ability to follow directions is better than your Google search technique (this is a very well known and well documented feature of the iPhone, any Google search for "custom contacts labels iPhone" would have given you this info (as I tested it)) !

Tap the label of the phone number (not the number, not the phone number itself) to open the label choices menu.

Attached Files:

9. uyenho, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

uyenho thread starter macrumors newbie

I attach the screen shot of my iphone 4s, I am not lying, not sure what wrong with my iphone, but it has no option in custom label. that's totally different what I saw with your label in your iphone. My ios 5.0.1.
    I tried my ipad 1, ios 4.3 and it has that option but not with my phone.
    This is couple people complain about ios 5.0 without custom label:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3638312?start=0&tstart=0
    http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php/showthread.php?t=102922

Attached Files:

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I have had custom labels available for some time.
    I sync with an Apple computer (Address Book). Perhaps the difference might be if you sync with a PC (Windows Contacts) ??
    Or perhaps a restore or upgrade to 5.1.1 is your best bet.

By the way, since Apple will be releasing iOS6 "momentarily", easiest to upgrade while Apple still signs 5.1.1

Good luck

11. uyenho thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for quick reply, might be you are right, I sync my contacts from my PC, that might be the problem, I don't want to upgrade to 5.1.1 because my phone got unlocked, I'm scare to mess up baseband. I think I have to stand with it. But thanks a lot for your advice.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Whatever unlock you have (Ultrasn0w, Gevey, SAM or IMEI) can be retained in an upgrade to 5.1.1 firmware.

If it is a baseband dependent unlock, just make and use a No_BB IPSW
    If it is a SAM unlock, copy the Lockdown folder and reinstall it after the upgrade
    If it is an IMEI unlock, baseband is irrelevant.

13. uyenho thread starter macrumors newbie

I unlock with gevey, and I heard some people got problem with unstable signal, or it might take a long time to pick the signal? my phone signal very good right now, I am scared to mess up, but thanks alot for your info. I will take a look should I upgrade to 5.1.1 or not.

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

IMEI unlocks can be had as cheap as $10

Then baseband worries are a thing of the past.