need help with afconvert command

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nick_harambee, Sep 5, 2009.

1. nick_harambee macrumors regular

hi

i am trying to use the afconvert command for the first time, to convert AAC audio files added to a specific folder in finder to WAV files. I have done a bit of searching about but can't work out how to write the afconvert command.

ultimately i would like to have a script with the afconvert command which would run as a folder action when AAC files are added to the folder, and ideally I would like the original AAC files to be deleted, but first off i need to get the afconvert command working.

i would be grateful if someone could let me know how to write the command line

thanks

nick

2. rpp3po macrumors regular

I can help, but why would you want to do that?

3. nick_harambee thread starter macrumors regular

i use some dictation software that relies on the WAV format for automatically transcribing audio files. i dictate into the voice memos app on my iphone, and when i connect to the itunes library the iphone transfers them as AAC files to a voice memos folder in my music folder. i would like to attach a folder action to this folder to convert the files to WAV and ideally delete the original AAC files. My transcription software will monitor this folder for WAV files, so once they are converted they will automatically be transcribed to text and then the WAV file deleted.

4. rpp3po macrumors regular

Code:
    afconvert --file WAVE --data LEI16 inputfile.m4a

5. nick_harambee thread starter macrumors regular

thanks.

how would i use this command with a folder action to convert all files added to a folder? would i have to put the command in a script?

nick

6. rpp3po macrumors regular

Yes, you can launch Terminal/BASH commands from AppleScripts. The exact syntax isn't in my head right now, but it certainly is possible. Just look it up.

7. gngrwzrd macrumors newbie

Here's a nice audio converter for core audio formats. http://gngrwzrd.com/microac/