Need help with Airport Extreme Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iWoz, Mar 30, 2010.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Im trying to set it up, it's the latest model on the Apple website.

Do I need a modem?

Can I not use it as a standalone router by connecting the dsl cable from the filter (which is connected directly from the phone line) to the airport extreme?

This is how i have my existing router setup.

2. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

The Airport Extreme has to be connected to a DSL modem. It's possible your existing router has that imbedded (e.g. if it came from your provider), but the Airport Extreme does not. You should be able to get the DSL modem from your DSL provider. I got mine from AT&T for $50 with a $50 rebate, so free in the end.

3. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

i have a draytek vigor 2820n router, Any idea how I can get the best use out of my airport extreme?

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

What was your reason for getting the Airport Extreme, if not to replace your exiting router? If you are replacing the Draytek router, then you need to to get a standalone DSL modem to connect your land line to the Airport Extreme. If you are keeping the Draytek, then help us understand what intended for the Airport Extreme.

It's possible you could utilize the Draytek DSL modem capabilities (it does have an imbedded DSL modem as I suspected) with the Airport Extreme, but I don't know that device so I can't give you instructions.

5. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Reason being is that I've heard good things about the Airport extreme, and picked one up for a decent price, as I have ADSL I assumed that it had a built in modem, I guess I'll look at buying a modem via ebay or something, and then sell the draytek, but at the moment I've somehow got the airport extreme working by joining it to my current wireless network, but not sure if im really maximising the full use of the aiport.

Any help/ideas/ would be great

Thanks

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I googled your Draytek and the 5 minutes version tells me the Airport Extreme doesn't really add anything to what you had, and it subtracts in that it does not include a ADSL connectivity (i.e. the DSL modem).

The Airport Extreme WLAN can be extended. If the Draytek WLAN can be extended then you can use the Airport Extreme to extend your wireless network for better connection in remote parts of our dwelling, if you have that problem. I do that with a Time Capsule (which is basically an Airport Extreme with a hard drive) and and a second Airport Extreme.

7. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Would you suggest purchasing a standalone modem? If so any recommendations?

8. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I use DSL but my provider (AT&T) gave me a DSL modem. I really don't know anything about them. I just plug mine in and power it on.