Need Help with AirTunes and AirPort Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by IBDave, Nov 11, 2008.

1. IBDave macrumors newbie

Here's my issue:

I have a 24" iMac (running 10.5.5) and an older AirPort Express (802.11 b/g only). When the AX is in the garage (I have a 1-story home) I do hear music and then it cuts out and my iMac shows a -3256 error message. When I move the AX into the house, I have no problems and the music streams just fine, no interruptions.

I did buy another AirPort Express today. I put the new AX in the garage and the same problem. So would using both Expresses set-up as a WDS solve my issue? I was thinking that one AX can be used to extend the wireless range to the second AX. This is only to stream music and I do NOT need/want any Internet connection through this network - just music only.

I tried setting up a WDS but the instructions I saw did not seem to match my OS version. I also tried the "extend wireless network" option. I noticed that this option only appears if I used the new AX to create my wireless network, Air Tunes.

Thanks in advance for any help - either step by step instructions or pointing me in the right direction. I tried searching but did not find a solution that worked for me. :(

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Could you try putting the new one in between your imac and the other airport express in WDS to make a bridge?

You should still be able to use it as a wireless music device.

3. IBDave thread starter macrumors newbie

And I think I'm the problem because I can't get the WDS to work. Is my iMac the "Main," the new AX a "relay" and the older AX a "remote"? :confused:

If I do a facory reset, I see both AX's. And then when I start making changes, only 1 will show up. I know I am doing something wrong.

Are there any step by step instructions out there that covers 10.5.5 and 2 AX's?

Again, I only want to stream music.

Thanks.

4. IBDave thread starter macrumors newbie

OK...not sure if I did it right but I have the new AX set-up as the main and the older AX as the remote. And now I have green led's on both AX's and so far so good. :)

My fingers are crossed.

Thanks for your help.

5. OptyCT macrumors 6502

Hopefully, that worked for you. I always heard that the recommendation for setting up WDS was to add one AE at a time. So, if you have two AE's make sure one is unplugged and set the first one up. One that AE is green-lighted, try and add the second one.

6. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Make sure you also have the latest firmware on both AXs