Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wiggum

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Good evening ladies and gents, had a quick question...

I have an entire website with interactive buttons and options (3.4gb) that is in HTML format. Safari will not open this (JavaScript error, use Internet Explorer) and Adobe won't open this. The file is not corrupt, it will open in Parallels just fine. I ideally want to copy this ENTIRE website to a PDF format, but I need to make sure I am keeping all interactive buttons active as reprogramming is simply not an option.

I will tell you the options I was trying...

Using Adobe Acrobat - I tried opening the HTML file and copying everything with Web Capture... this doesn't work.

I have also looked into uploading the entire file to a website and than capturing with Adobe, that doesn't work.

Does anyone know how I can make this happen? There are over 300,000 "files" on this website, so need to keep it in tact. It is a car service manual with interactive buttons and tutorials.

Thanks

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
PDF does not allow for the complexity possible with a web site. That route is just never going to work.

And if the web-site was written so as to only work in IE, then you are stuck there. And you should be careful, since a portion of the sites coded specifically for IE 6 will fall apart in any other browser, including newer versions of IE.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
If it opens in Parallels, then install the free and open-source PDFCreator tool over there, and capture what you want by printing to the virtual printer the PDFCreator tool installs. You can then do whatever you wish with the PDF files thus generated.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
If it opens in Parallels, then install the free and open-source PDFCreator tool over there, and capture what you want by printing to the virtual printer the PDFCreator tool installs. You can then do whatever you wish with the PDF files thus generated.

And that will keep the interactive navigation? Like larkost said, PDF just isn't suitable for what Wiggum wants to do...

Why do you need to change the HTML, Wiggum?

Wiggum

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2010
I wanted the change so that I could load it onto my iPad.... which obviously won't boot I.E.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I wanted the change so that I could load it onto my iPad.... which obviously won't boot I.E.

What does the page uses Javascript for? Perhaps you can figure out what the Javascript problem is. Have you tried viewing it in mobile Safari with Javascript turned off?

Is this site online somewhere? If you post a link it would be easier to help you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.