Need help with an idea

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by anamznazn, Jan 27, 2008.

1. anamznazn macrumors regular

anamznazn

I have a research paper & project to do for my Technology class but my mind's totally blanked out. After trying to google something up, I still can't think of anything.

I have to write a research paper on something that I will be researching AND actually doing an experiment on in class. The topic could be on anything such as graphics, cameras, printing, computer stuff, etc. I could compare something to something, or find the best way to complete a task.

(Take in consideration that this is a college course so it has to be something a bit more than just basic stuff.) :)

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Can you write about how a certain technology or device revolutionized a certain field of science or business?

E.g. How the CCD impacted the field of astronomy,
    or how the GUI revolutionized the computer industry, etc.

3. anamznazn thread starter macrumors regular

anamznazn

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have to actually do some kind of experiment along with this. I do like the GUI idea though...but I'm not quite sure how I can compare something like that with a group of students. :)

4. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Why not try to research something about GUI in relation to productivity in computers. For an experiment you could gather some people and try them on different GUI spaces to see which is more productive than the other and why.

5. McGiord, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Have fun comparing DVD s vs Blue Ray vs HD-DVD and digital videos mp4 H264.
    You can stress the impact in the economics, technology, marketing, costs, rent services, online renting, etc....
    ________
    William Clay Ford, Jr. specifications

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Even better, grab some history majors* (so they know nothing about computers), and test half using a GUI and the other half using a CLI. If you pick the right people, you should expect an increase of about 100% productivity. :D

* As to not offend any history majors, you may replace this major with any unrelated to computer sciences.

7. anamznazn thread starter macrumors regular

anamznazn

Hmm, that might actually hit the spot. Simple processes like burning a CD, attaching and emailing things, or even moving folders around could be timed and be used as an experiment. :)

Wish I could do that, but the amount of time to do something like that would be crazy! Besides, I don't think any computers at my school can play Blu-Ray or HD-DVDS. :rolleyes:

Haha! :D

I would fail at CLI too. :rolleyes:

8. xodonniedarko macrumors 6502

xodonniedarko

Could you do something on the difference between the new MP3 players and which one has the best features? Like compare the Zen, Zune, and iPod classics?

9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

How legit does this experiment have to be? Please rate on a scale from Sociology to Chemistry.