Need help with an iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jorisw, Nov 20, 2010.

1. jorisw macrumors newbie

- I just received the phone from a friend
    - the phone was jailbroken
    - my friend erased all data and settings before giving me the phone
    - the phone is no longer recognized when plugged into a computer
    - currently stuck on the Apple logo screen, but switches to a low battery screen after sitting for a while
    - the power/sleep button doesn't work (it didn't work before either) so I can't reset it

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can get this phone up and running?

Thanks!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Ask your friend what iOS update the iPhone was on.

If he/she saved the shsh signatures so you can restore.

Sometime when you hit "erase all settings" the iPhone will do that. Have it plugged into the computer and keep restarting the iPhone. Eventually iTunes will pick it up.

3. jorisw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply!

I don't think my friend is all that computer savvy, so unless the SHSH signatures are saved automatically, she probably won't have them.

If I do get access to her computer, how do I go about restarting the iPhone? The power/sleep button is no longer working. Or do you mean that I should keep restarting the computer and iTunes until the iPhone gets picked up?

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yeah. Just keep holding down the home and power button. If you don't need the unlock, your only choice when restoring would be to update to 4.1

5. jorisw thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to get this thing working so I don't really care what version I have to update to.

I won't have access to my friend's computer until tomorrow, though. Are there any other options using my own computer?

6. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Ok, heres to hoping you dont need to unlock it because if you do, you are SOL right now.

Hold down the power button and home button for a while. What this should do is make the screen flash. Keep holding it and the apple logo should reappear. If this works, you should be able do use the phone.

If it doesnt do anything, try plugging it into your computer, and restore it. This will update to 4.1, but it makes it so you can't unlock it yet.

If it doesn't recognize it, go to this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808 to put it in recovery mode. You don't need to be at your friends computer, you just need itunes on yours.

If it still doesnt work, go to the apple store.

7. jorisw thread starter macrumors newbie

This didn't work, although occasionally the screen will flash, turn off, and then a few seconds later the Apple logo will reappear and stay on the screen.

I looked at the instructions on the link you provided, but step 2 requires the use of the power button and unfortunately mine does not work (the phone previously suffered water damage and the power button's functionality was lost).

Any other ideas?

8. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

9. jorisw thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got back from the Apple store. They said that there's nothing they can do other than replace the internals for about $250 USD :(

10. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Sorry. Wait look in the headphone port and the dock connector. Do you see any orange? If you don't, you might be able to sneak it in. Other than that, you'll have to either pay $250 or sell it.

11. jorisw thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't see any orange, but unfortunately the warranty has already expired.

12. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Then they probably wouldn't be able to tell water damage. So you either gotta pay 250 to replace it or sell it.

13. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I thought out-of-contract replacements were $199? You should call your Apple Store and confirm this number though.

Otherwise, try and see whether a local phone repair store can fix that power button for less.

14. jorisw thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in Japan, so the out-of-contract replacement might be more here. I didn't ask but I assume that if a replacement is cheaper than the $250 repair, the Apple rep would've mentioned it.

I called the only repair shop I could find in Tokyo, and they told me that they can't repair the power button if the damage came from water.

I'm open to any other options, but I think I might be out of luck. :(

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

A water damaged iPhone is usually a lost cause, the best you can do is get the out-of-warranty replacement...

16. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Ah, I see.

Perhaps you can hop down to Akihabara? Last time I went there I found a place which fixed a broken battery connector on an old docomo P905i I had. Can't remember the shop name- but it was in one of those side streets (not in the central area where Yodobashi etc are). Perhaps they know how to fix these things?

Sorry I can't help more.

17. jorisw thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up just getting the out-of-warranty replacement.

Thank you everyone for your help & suggestions.