Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angel76ph

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Hi there.

I had a MS Office subscription a few months ago but that has expired now. Out of the cancellation of my subscription I have some leftover documents on my Macbook Air especially my CV.

I would like to be able to edit that old Word CV and save it in a .doc or .docx format to send it for my job applications.

Is there any 1st-party (or 3rd-party) software that can give me that ability?

Please help. Many thanks,

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Microsoft office online is free and can finish simple editing tasks. You can try it out.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
libre office

open office

These work on mac/windows/linux etc

I'd recommend libre office personally and is what we use at work and so does our local council as it is free.
both above are free BTW.

Reactions: angel76ph

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thank you Miss Shirasaki.

But MS Office online is online. I won't be able to pull my saved file to attach to my email or job site.
Just put it to your OneDrive and set a sync between OneDrive and local, you will fine. You can then delete account if you hate Microsoft and you are able to.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Is Libre Office as extensive as Word or Pages? Can i save them on the format i want i.e. .doc, .docx and .pdf?
It can, but I cannot guarantee compatibility and document layout is the exact same as Microsoft office online does. I used it a little bit with complex documents and it worked well, and retained all document layouts.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Bad idea. Those are editable files, not appropriate to be transferring to anyone. You should print your document to pdf and attach that to your job applications.
But the problem is: OP needs to edit Them before attaching it to anywhere.
If online tool is not the choice then I can only hope those free office suite can fit his need while retain document layout, format etc.
Or he can use free Microsoft word for iOS as it can also finish simple editing tasks.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
the office above is 95% compatible, some formatting of newer office 2010/2016 may be lost in conversion.

beware libre office by default does NOT save as .doc you need edit when saving or change preferences.

libre office docs will be fine if opened in word provided you saved as .doc that is.

I use libre office quite a lot although just got office 2011 2nd hand for my mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.