Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Recently, I got an iphone 7 and ipad 6th gen. It's been awhile since I've used my Apple ID (I have my ID). I cannot remember my password. So, I call Apple Support and we go through the ways to retrieve it. No luck. After which, I'm told that they will send me a text (in 24 days) to a number that is no longer active (well, it won't be when they will contact me). This has happened with two different Apple Support people and each one says that tomorrow I'll be contacted. They don't contact me.

Anyone have any ideas to retrieve my password?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
It's probably simpler to just change, reset your password. You have to know the answers to your AppleID security questions, and you have to be able to prove who you are (probably by providing your date of birth.)
And, of course, the password reset will be sent to either the registered email address, or text to the phone number that is listed in your AppleID account. When I did this last time, a couple of years ago, it was a real PITA.
I had forgot one of the security questions, and the email address was not mine (a long story not relevant to this thread, but simply a dead email address.) Had to wait for a several-day delay for Apple to reset the password from their end.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
MN
It's probably simpler to just change, reset your password. You have to know the answers to your AppleID security questions, and you have to be able to prove who you are (probably by providing your date of birth.)
And, of course, the password reset will be sent to either the registered email address, or text to the phone number that is listed in your AppleID account. When I did this last time, a couple of years ago, it was a real PITA.
I had forgot one of the security questions, and the email address was not mine (a long story not relevant to this thread, but simply a dead email address.) Had to wait for a several-day delay for Apple to reset the password from their end.

I would really like to reset it. Unfortunately, I have not been asked any security questions (I would prefer that). Also, the phone # is going to be inactive in a couple of weeks. The wait is beyond that. No one at Apple has a solution.

maxxodd

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
I would really like to reset it. Unfortunately, I have not been asked any security questions (I would prefer that). Also, the phone # is going to be inactive in a couple of weeks. The wait is beyond that. No one at Apple has a solution.

I assume you've gone to iForgot.apple.com? This should allow you to reset your password provided you have other information about the account.

Reactions: DeltaMac

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I assume you've gone to iForgot.apple.com? This should allow you to reset your password provided you have other information about the account.

Yes. Currently, it says in 20 days I will be contacted. Also, it says that by this time tomorrow, we'll contact you at my email address to let me know when you will be able to reset your password. No email has been sent. Like I wrote above, no one follows through. What a pain in the a%#!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.