Need help with blackouts.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Kingrsmchugh, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Kingrsmchugh macrumors newbie

Okay I'm not the most technically savvy person so here goes: this week both the local college football teams ( South Carolina and Clemson) are playing small schools and are on ESPN 3. They are being blacked out.

How would I watch those games on espn 3? Would I need to adjust the Apple TV or does that go by the wifi router and the wifi needs to be adjusted? Thanks

2. kbutler84 macrumors regular

Had the same issue earlier this year. After having trouble getting the AppleTV to work the way your asking, I finally just plugged in my macbook with a MiniDisplay port to HDMI adapter and used WatchESPN while using hotspotshield. Worked perfectly.

I know this advice won't work if you don't have a way to hook your computer up to your TV.

3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

4. Kingrsmchugh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I thought id have to change my wifi router too.

Wait since the att account (used for watch espn) is local will that affect watch espn even if the Apple TV says I'm in California for example

5. kbutler84 macrumors regular

I believe the blackout is based on your IP address of the location you're watching from, so if you're using some sort of VPN, it should be fine.

6. Kingrsmchugh thread starter macrumors newbie

Guy at Unblock said they don't support ESPN and there's no way to watch a blackout game on the appletv even with a legit espn user/pass

7. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

I agree. This from WatchESPN faq's:

How is my location determined if the event is blacked out? What is a Blackout?
    If you see a message that states, "This content is subject to blackout", this is because the event that you requested is not available on WatchESPN in your location. Your location is determined by your IP Address.

8. Kingrsmchugh thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah so do I have to VPN the Apple TV, watch espn or the wifi router at the house? I would had thought that if I told the appletv I was in BFE, the watch espn app on the appletv would automatically think I was in BFE.

Sorry and thanks

9. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

I don't think you can vpn the Apple TV, you need to vpn the router. I think I would try kbutlers approach. If you can get it streaming on the computer or iPad, etc., then use airplay mirroring and stream it to your ATV.

10. zainwayne, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

zainwayne macrumors newbie