Need help with blinking globe on start-up

CaNMaC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
I have a used Rev. B 12" PB with Panther. Recently, after a software update (I don't remember exactly what was updated), I noticed a blinking globe on the screen after the "boing" sound after my machine was turned on. It would blink for several minutes, followed by a folder with the classic OS face blinking inside. Several minutes later, OS X loads. My guess is that the PB is looking for the classic environment to load. How do I get rid of the blinking and the wait without putting in OS 9? Thank you for your help!!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
If that doesn't work, once it boots, go to System Preferences...->Startup Disk and be sure Network Startup isn't selected.

Comment

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Or the other solution would be to hold down "option" on startup. This will bring up all the available boot volumes for you to select from. Or perhaps if you hold down "X" it will boot into OS X. I don't know if the last one overrides netboot, but it does when switching between OS 9 and OS X on dual boot machines.

cpjakes

Comment

CaNMaC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
I disabled network startup, and my problem was solved! Thanks for all your suggestions!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.