Need Help with Bootcamp PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CR0W, Jul 6, 2009.

1. CR0W macrumors newbie

I have the windows xp cd but my dad bought the Macbook Pro from one of his friends but it didn't bring the cd(Which I guess brings the drivers) Is there a way to download the drivers onto a disc? Should I even risk trying to set up bootcamp? Are there any tips yall can give me?

Does anyone know of a good tutorial on how to set up bootcamp?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes. Just install it. It will be fine. Have him install his own drivers when he gets the computer back.

[​IMG]

3. CR0W thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok what exactly is needed for running windows xp correctly on bootcamp?

Obviously the Windows XP disc but what else after that?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's it. Apple has provided drivers on the Leopard disk, but you don't need them; you can find drivers online.

5. CR0W thread starter macrumors newbie

I just saw the installation guide and it says "Install Bootcamp Drivers for Windows" Since I don't have the disc where can I download the Bootcamp drivers?

Would a copy of the Windows Xp cd work?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, the XP CD will not have the Boot Camp drivers on it. I already said that you don't need the drivers for it to run. You can download your own drivers from the Internet or use the Leopard disk when the computer and the disk are in the same place. It doesn't matter.

7. CR0W thread starter macrumors newbie

Would a copy on Winxp work? I slipstreamed SP2 into Windows XP so I had to make a copy.

Anything that might mess up the installation and cause my macbook to crash?

Thanks for the help

8. CR0W thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to use Windows for gaming on the Macbook. Is there a program where I can play Microsoft games(Valve games) on my mac instead of having to install Windows XP on it?

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, you might mess it up. :p Human error is really the only thing. MAKE SURE TO CHOOSE THE PARTITION THAT IS THE CORRECT SIZE WHEN THE TIME COMES. IF YOU CHOOSE THE WRONG ONE, YOU'LL ERASE OS X.

Mmm... yes.

1. You could virtualize the games, but that is painfully slow and the graphics suck eggs.

2. You could Ciderize the games. That means to make it run natively in OS X. It's difficult, to say the least.

Like these:

Attached Files:

10. CR0W thread starter macrumors newbie

I heard of a program called Crossover that can run games like Counter Strike and Team Fortress 2.

But I also heard that Team Fortress 2 doesn't work with Crossover now. Would you recommend this program over bootcamp?

Do you know if Combat Arms would work with Crossover?

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OP, my advice is to never do anything like this without a full backup of your data

This Forum is littered with people who have lost their data because they didn't follow the directions or were careless... or for whatever reason screwed up their HD

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

The bootcamp install will work fine if you print out the install instructions and go through them step by step. Make sure you have a time machine backup made on an external hard drive just in case something goes wrong. I have had to completely wipe my drive once and re-install leopard to get bootcamp to be able to partition my disk successfully. When you are going through the install of xp, like was said above, make sure you are selecting the right drive to install windows on, if you select the wrong one, you will erase osx. You don't need the bootcamp drivers for the computer to be able to run, you just have to have them to get all of the features out of your computer like sound, and if you have a macbook, the multi-touch trackpad and such. If you have any problems just look through the "windows on the mac" forum and if it is not answered, create a new thread and ask.

NOTE: The bootcamp installation process makes windows the default operating system, so if you just let the computer boot up, it will boot into windows, this helps with the installation since it has to reboot so many times. If you want to get back into osx, restart your computer and after the chime noise, hold down the alt/option key and then select your osx partition. If you want to make osx your default OS so you don't have to hold the option key to get to it, in osx go to system preferences --> startup disk. and click your osx disk