need help with bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Udinpetot, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Udinpetot macrumors member

guys.., excuse my noobiness
    i was installing windows with bootcamp.., however at one stage, the laptop needed to restart, and after it did.., it says cant boot or something liek that..
    so i had to press c again.., and it went to the intro page again..
    any ideas?
    thx..

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

If you hold down the option key just after you've turned it on you can select where to boot from.

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

If you have a Windows XP SP2 or Vista installation CD/DVD in the optical drive when it reboots, it will automatically boot off that and start the Windows installation process.

4. Udinpetot thread starter macrumors member

5. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Its always best to print out the extra long instruction manual ;)

6. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

I had this same issue, and this was after option booting off the new windows XP SP2 pro install. I never did figure it out, although I'm pretty sure it had to do with the way the BC volume was formatted. The combination of things that ended up working for me was to choose 32GB in BC manager and then during the windows install format the drive to FAT. I would have chose a larger size and NTFS but that's what ended up working. I had read somewhere in the documentation (which I looked up on another computer, didn't print the thing out) that you can't go with the default format- but rather have to let the windows installer reformat. Even though I did actually tell the win installer to format to NTFS, it didn't work whereas FAT did.

(yes I know there are read/write issues between NTFS and OSX Extended- but didn't plan on moving files between the volumes)

7. Udinpetot thread starter macrumors member

ok guys.....
    why is it so hard to install windows on mac :(
    so heres my problem again..
    i did the windows instalation, and at one stage it needed a restart..
    i took out the cd by pressing the trackpad button.., and it automatically boot to mac..
    then..

i reboot on partially installed windows
    when it reboots, it says dick error, please press any key to restart.
    and i press every button on my mac, nothing happeneed, so i did the hard way..
    but still, couldnt continue installing windows sp2..
    any idea guys?

8. Mac.Fanatic628 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem... simply put... bootcamp sucks.
    I tried the same steps and could not get anything to work what you need to do is if the CD will not eject keep trying until it does eventually it will, keep rebooting and hold down the eject key eventually the CD will come out once it does this you may have to re-install your mac hard drive (I had to first I had to reinstall Tiger then Leopard :mad:) before your reboot your Mac insert the Tiger or Leopard installation CD. Go through the steps to Install Tiger or Leopard. The unfortunate thing about this is once you get it started up Bootcamp will still be on the Computer try to erase the hard drive (I did at first and it wouldnt let me but eventually it did erase it. Literally a day or two later I found "Parallels Desktop" trial for 30 days, it is in the same sense bootcamp without all the heartache, headache and so on, I installed Windows XP without a problem, it will ask you the same questions but it will work trust me its very easy. I liked Parallels so much I just went out and bought the Program around $80 dollars works like a charm especially after I updated my Macbook Pro to 4 GB (only reads 3GB) but its fast as heck now. Hopefully this works if not make an appointment with the Apple store and see if they can fix it. Cheers and Good Luck. :apple: Rocks

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Admittedly I've only done the BootCamp installation process with XP once, but I've never had any trouble. Didn't have trouble with Vista either.

1. Run BootCamp assistant to partition drive, doesn't matter what format you select
    2. Put in Windows installation CD (XP SP2 or Vista Whatever Edition)
    3. Install it, selecting the newly created partition and formatting it with the filesystem of your choice
    4. Since BootCamp sets the auto-boot to do any Windows-style MBR partitions before it boots OS X, subsequent reboots in the installer (two in each Windows install, I believe) will continue to boot to Windows until it's done.
    5. There is no step 5. Well, besides "installing drivers" I suppose.

Of course, it helps that I've done dozens of Windows installs on PCs through the ages, so that part's old hat. It's really not that hard though, I don't understand how people have so much trouble, and suspect very strongly it's because they're not using the correct Windows installation media and/or aren't familiar with the Windows installation process.