Need Help With Buying a MBP or MP and Using Handbrake

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jfriedman8, Oct 16, 2008.

1. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

So I will be buying either a MacBook Pro or mac pro/ iMac (Don't really like since it does not have the easy upgradability like the MP, but I'm open to anything) between now and MacWorld. If a MacPro is in the mix it would definitelty be in Jan after an update, hopefully. Mainly my question is for the uses listed below, is the Mac Pro/ iMac really going to make them significantly easier and faster to the point where it's worth buying or not? if I'm way off line (I don't think I am here), would the MacBook be fine?

Anyway here is what I will need it for, in order:

Handbrake and Mac The Ripper- Converting my entire DVD collection to iphone/ipod format. From what I have read, this is a more CPU intensive process rather than a powerful video card. From personal experience, quality on the OSX version is a little better than a PC. Currently I have an Inspiron 1420 with an 8400 GS 128MB video card and T8600 2.4GHz processor and it takes about 50 mins for convert a DVD at about 42 fps and 100% CPU usage. This is by using my BD/RE drive not using a Video TS file from the HDD. Basically my question is will there be a significant difference in the time it takes if I get a MBP with a 2.8GHz CPU or MP? If its only a 5 minute difference, I can deal, but if its going to 1/2 the time and get 100fps like I've heard, then it's worth it to me.

Flight Simulator X- Obviously I'd be running this in Windows, Vista Home Premium probably. So, which video card for the MP and would that video card be better than the one in the MBP for that game in particular?

Some Photoshop and Music Programs- I do a little photo/ video editing and do work with audacity and similar type apps.

Portability would be nice, but chances are I'll be adding another lighter 13 inch laptop, so the difference between the MP/iMac and MBP in portability is negligible. I would connect both of them to my Gateway 24" monitor.

2. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

3. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

But would a MacPro do it considerably better to the point it is worth buying over the MBP?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

we need to know your settings that you convert to be exact, care to post them??

i would estimate that the base line MP would convert at around 130-150fps. where as the baseline MBP would convert at around 50-70fps.

5. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Have you considered getting an elgato / eyetv? I think the $200 model comes with a video converter (hardware that does the work of your cpu).

6. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have an elgato, but I like the Handbrake software better.

7. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am using the iphone/iPod Touch preset.
    H.264 encoder AAC Audio (Insert iPod Atom)
    480x(Its blank on the preset)

Your answer was kind of what I was expecting. So if I am going to get 130-150 fps with the MP, that should theoretically half the time of the process then, right?

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

handbrake can utilise the 4 cores, so it will easily double the MBP, if not tripple on some video conversions. maybe it would be best if you did go for it.

9. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess that is what I'll go ahead and do then. If it's going to half the time its going to make life much easier, especially when I do shows like Seinfeld where I want individual episodes. Hopefully with a Macworld refresh I can get an updated video card for Flight Simulator X. I think Ill end up with a Mac Pro and then a MacBook Air once it gets the new trackpad and the glass screen, and maybe a midsize if I can scrape the money together. Thanks for the help!