Need help with buying a router!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Goldinboy17, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I currently have a Netgear Wnr2000. I'm not super impressed with it, but it's not bad either. I was looking to upgrading to a new router. The thing is, I have a bit too many things connecting to my router (maybe 7 activate wireless connections plus four wired ones). That's why I think my Netgear isn't handling it very well. Which of the following do you think I'd be better off with?
    The Cisco-Valet Plus, D-Link DIR-655, a Linksys E3000, or the Apple Airport?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How about the Netgear WNDR3700? The Airport Extreme only has 3 ethernet ports, so that one is probably out.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I'll be the first to say don't get an Airport, compared to others, Airport signals just are no where near as good.

Do you have cable or DSL internet?

4. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Cable. I have AT&T U-Verse with a 24MBPS connection. I was planning on upgrading to Comcast's 50MBPS plan so I'd need a router that is FAST and can put up with the pressure. I was sorely disappointing with NetGears WNDR3700. I returned it for the older model I have now.

5. Unrealtechno macrumors newbie

I've been using a Netgear WNDR3700, replaced a buffalo running dd-wrt. So far it's actually been really good. 4 gig-e ports, simultaneous dual band. couldn't be happier now that i think of it. i don't know much about the 3 stream stuff coming out, but this handles everything below plus the occasional friend stopping by and it has never skipped a beat.
    Wired:
    slingbox
    xbox 360
    bluray player

b/g/n:
    iphone 3gs
    iphone 4
    aria
    printer
    tivo

a/n:
    MBP
    Macbook
    iPad

edit: and it has a usb port for drive sharing over DNLA

6. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

I've owned a couple highly rated gaming wifi routers. I was never completely satisfied. Then I got a time capsule, and I cannot speak highly enough about it. It might not have many ethernet ports, but I have it connected to a 24 port switch so that aspect doesn't concern me.

7. Unrealtechno macrumors newbie

I was all set to go AEBS but no UPNP? REALLY?

8. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

My old 3700 would give out a lot. The wireless would just reset itself randomly after too much use. I use my 360's N adapter and the two just did not seem to get along. I would get kicked off live constantly and I got fed up with it. I was hoping some of the routers I listed, or even others, are considered better. Just need a good router, especially for wireless gaming/streaming HD videos =/

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've never had any of those problems, but to each their own.

10. Unrealtechno macrumors newbie

ditto. i've had some real crap and after ddwrt my standards were almost unreasonably high but the 3700 has been a beast. if his xbox is dropping then it may be wireless in general or interference because mine's been fine.

11. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I'm thinking now it could have been defective. I guess I should at least try it again. Does anyone else know of any good routers? Thanks you guys.

12. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

I replaced my 5-year old Linksys router with the E3000 recently and love it. Easy setup, great wifi range, and noticed a big boost in DL speed.

13. circularforward macrumors 6502

I have the DIR-655 and have had no problems, but you would have many more things connected. I haven't been keeping up with the new routers, but when it first came out, it pretty much swept every review of the N routers.

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Huh? This Mac user also recently purchased a Cisco Linksys E3000 router. Indeed, it is a powerful router. However, speed is controlled by your ISP and not the router. If you are experiencing dramatic speed increases, then your old router was defective. Good thing that you replaced it. However, any new router would have been expected to provide a similar speed increase.

But, I digress.... We have very different definitions of easy setup. I have owned several routers prior to the E3000. Every single one of them was plug & play. All administration was done through the routers' built-in web server. However, administration was strictly optional. The E3000 is a very different animal. It requires activation. The activation software is exclusive to Windows. As a Mac user, you are restricted to a wired connection until you run the activation software on Windows. No Windows computer? You are SOL.

For Windows users, the E3000's activation requirement encourages better security practices. However, these additional steps add no value for Mac users.

15. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

Of course bandwidth is controlled by your ISP however replacing the modem/router can increase DL speeds too. Check out reviews of the Motorola SB6120 on Newegg. My router was not defective - it was old.

I have no idea what you're talking about. This is how my setup went:

1. Connect router to modem and laptop
    2. Power up router
    3. Insert included CD into Macbook Pro
    4. Let the automated setup do it's thing in OS X
    5. Change Wifi name and delete "guest" access.
    6. Done.

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Minus the fact that this is completely incorrect, the rest of your post is true.

17. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I'll admit to being half wrong. The Cisco setup disc is a hybrid disc that includes a Mac version of the setup utility. However, I was correct about the other half of my statement. Older Cisco routers did not require the setup disc.

To you Ljohnson72, this means that your Steps 3-5 were unnecessary with my Linksys WRT600N router and all those that went before.

18. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I was an idiot. I spent $148 on the Cisco Valet Plus router. The thing is completely unstable. My ping is ridiculously high, 250-450 ms, compared to my old 30 ms. My download is averaging from 3 to 6MBPS. My internet provider is giving me 24MBPS, and I can reach that amount when I connect my laptop to the AT&T 2Wire router. I can not believe how bad this router is! Off I go to get the 3700, I'd kick myself if I could.

19. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

Considering the fact it took 5 minutes to setup I'm not too sure if that's actually a worthwhile benefit.

20. calbear85 macrumors newbie

calbear85

I just installed the Netgear WNDR3700 (now rebadged as N600) behind my U-Verse residential gateway. Wi-fi speed and range improved significantly.

21. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Five minutes spent on any setup is a long time. If those five minutes are unnecessary, then those are five wasted minutes. Perhaps, you don't mind wasting your time. I do.

22. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

lol you spent that much time reading this thread for ZERO return on your time.

23. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you didn't learn anything, then I suppose that you are correct.

24. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

Carefully read the post (if you have the time) I was referring to YOU.

Tick tick tick you just wasted a few more minutes.