Need help with buying first iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kidcaro, Jul 31, 2011.

1. kidcaro macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums hoping to find a solution to my problem.

I am a currently a windows user (tired and ready to switch.) I have saved US$2,000 to spend on a new iMac. The problem is that i am having trouble deciding which one would be the best buy, so much that I've had the money for about two months now and i have yet to buy the iMac.

I need something that wont require me to update for the next 6 (my crappy acer desktop has lasted me for 4 so far so a powerful iMac shouldnt struggle) I enjoy recording HD videos and editing them in iMovie and playing casual games (portal 2 for example, and games might require more power as the years pass.) I plan on experimenting with final cut once i get used to the iMac and want to go pro with the video editing. I might be watching a lot of movies since im leaning more towards a 27 inch.

The high end model (27 inch i7) goes a couple hundreds past the 2,000 i have saved and so i start to wonder if i will EVER need that much power. When i look up the benchmarks i see that the i7 21 inch is more affordable and is the closest in performance to the high end model. so i need to decide between the high end 21 inch imac or the low end 27 inch to stay within budget, or spending the extra cash to get the high end i7? PLEASE HELP!

21.5-inch iMac (2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7)
    27-inch iMac (2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5)
    27-inch iMac (3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5) + 1gb graphics
    27-inch iMac (3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7) high end

I APPRECIATE THE ADVICE GUYS

2. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I don't have much time to reply in detail right now, but my vote goes for the 27" 3.1ghz. Buy some extra ram from newegg or amazon and you will be set for quite a while.

It will handle everything you described and more, all within your budget.

My last iMac lasted me well past 5 years, and could have went more if I didn't get that WANT a new mac vs. NEED a new mac feeling.

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I went with the 27' 2.7ghz version. Main reason was the huge screen, and also because I felt I didn't really need the extra specs (time may prove me wrong though).

4. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I went for the 21.5". The 27" looked far to big for me but its all down to preference.

I moved from a 19" to a 21.5" so it was a good change up for me though.

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Initially, I thought the screen did seem like overkill at the beginning, but you get used to it pretty fast enough, and now, I don't really think anything of it. :p

6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

My advice is go with the i7. $100 to max out VRAM is probably a good idea too. I just got a system with those specs and I'm a very happy camper.

Getting both of these things will help to avoid that coulda shoulda feeling 3 years down the road when you hit some sort of barrier that bottlenecks productivity or enjoyment. Processor upgrade is a no brainer to me and is the easiest way to extend the usefulness of a computer down the road. The VRAM is debatable but you'll never be able to upgrade it later so why not max it out?

You're already going big, go just a little bit bigger. It's not like you'll be buying another one any time soon.

7. SawceBaws macrumors member

What about the Yellow Tint issue? Is it overblown? Does your system have it? If it does, do you get used to it, and it's not a big of a deal as people on here make it out to be?

8. mac-ho macrumors member

There is no such thing as a "Low end iMac" I would take the small screen off your list. Buy the 27" you can best afford.