Need help with Carbon Copy Cloner. Which option do I select?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Star Nuts, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Star Nuts macrumors member

I just installed an SSD and now want to copy everything from my HDD over to the SSD. My options are:

Temporary modify archived and deleted items

Delete anything that doesn't exist on the source

Preserve new files, don't delete anything

And after I clone it, do I have to boot from my SSD then erase the HDD? I'm assuming having two OS installed on one machine may **** with it's mind.

2. simsaladimbamba

I use this option and it works quite well:
    Have you formatted your SSD properly?

Btw, you can have as many OSs connected to one Mac as you want, I have an external HDD with four Mac OS X versions (10.5 to 10.8) and four installers (10.5 to 10.8) on eight partitions (one partition per installer, one partition per OS).
    It will not frack with its mind.
    Just make sure, you selected the correct partition to bot from in System Preferences > Startup Disk
    [​IMG]

I also have one SSD and one HDD in my MBP, the SSD gets cloned daily via CCC to one partition on the HDD in case the SSD fails.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I want to clone my entire hard drive to a new hard drive or a new machine / Example backup scenarios / Knowledge Base - Bombich Software Support
    When you clone a drive with CCC, that doesn't create any confusion with OS X. Your Mac will still boot from your default internal drive, unless you manually select another boot drive by holding the Option key while booting up. You don't have to erase the HDD unless you want to use it for other purposes. It can still serve as a backup.