need help with changing password

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lmg01, Nov 5, 2008.

1. lmg01 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Recently received a Power Mac G4 Cube, still trying to work my way around it, never had a mac before. It seems as though the previous owner password is still effective, I have no idea who this person is. Any help and/or advice on how I can go about changing it without having the original p/w. Also is there a user guide or something that I can get for this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you have the operating system discs that shipped with the computer, you can follow the steps in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1274 for resetting the administrator password, its about halfway down the page. There's also a method to reset it in single-user mode but I don't remember the commands off the top of my head.

3. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

this is a bit of a problem. there are two options that I can offer.
    1)Ask the previous owner, but I'm sure you probably have already though of that.
    2)If they gave you the cds to reinstall, do a fresh install of the system

there are no known ways to crack passwords on os x so if you can't do either you are just going to have to buy a new copy of os x.

4. emt1 macrumors 65816

You really should wipe the hard drive and reinstall the OS.

5. lmg01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all that answered, however I don't have the disk that you are talking about. Where can I get one?

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you weren't provided the discs by the previous owner, you could possibly order them from AppleCare (assuming availability) or use a 10.3, 10.4, or 10.5 retail install disc to reset the password. I say 10.3, 10.4, or 10.5 because you would need the one appropriate to whatever version you seen in About this Mac under the :apple: menu.

7. lmg01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Jedi, after looking it's a 10.4.11, any ideas where I can get one? You have been such a great help. Can't thank you enough :eek:

8. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

9. lmg01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying, but I honestly did not steal it, this was given too me. Although I can see how you would accuse someone of stealing that you don't know