Need help with choosing a router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sam8675309, Jun 22, 2010.

1. sam8675309 macrumors newbie

I'm not too sure which type of router I should buy. I'm clueless about routers, actually. I'm currently using a desktop that is directly wired to my modem. I'm looking for a router that I can attach to my modem(I think that's how it goes?) and in turn, the router will be wired to my desktop and be wireless to my laptop. (I plan to purchase a Macbook as my laptop, do I need a special router?) Also, I heard something about the Airport Extreme. Not sure if that's the only router I can use? Again, I'm clueless to routers.

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Get any WiFi G or N router. Since you don't know much about it, I assume you don't need extreme performance.

Getting the cheapest D-Link or Cisco router would be a safe bet. They will work with Macs without any special configuration, they are fast enough for most internet connections, and come from reliable brands.

As for the Airport Extreme, it is stylish, and very performant. But if you don't need to transfer huge media files wirelessly on your network, or share a printer/usb drive, better keep your money for something else.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Airport Extreme is the most famous of the Wireless-N routers, which are produced by several vendors. Actually Airport Extreme, like most wireless routers, supports 802.11a/b/g/n. The Airport Extreme also has three LAN ports for Ethernet-connected network devices. The Airport Extreme and every other similar name brand router uses industry-standard cards. Routers, whether from Apple, Cisco, D-Link, or any other manufacturer, don't care whether the connected device is a Mac, Windowss PC, iPhone, PS/3, or whatever. My current router is a Cisco Linksys Wireless-N. It has four LAN ports, one more than an Airport Extreme. Connected via Ethernet, I have my desktop computer, Blu-ray player, and printer. My MacBook Pro, iPhone, and iPad access it wirelessly. My neighbor's son also accessed it wirelessly until my neighbor persuaded me to password-protect my wireless signal.

My preference is a Linksys Wireless-N. It costs less than half the price of the Apple router. OTOH, the Airport Extreme is supposed to be much more reliable and durable than the Linksys. This Linksys owner has no evidence to dispute reports of higher Apple reliability.