Need Help With Coins

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Channan, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I've been collecting foreign coins for a few years now just as I get them, almost exclusively from people who either confuse them with US currency, or know what they are and try to pass them off as US coins anyway. Either way, a foreign coin is worth more to me than a penny, nickel, dime, or quarter, so I just keep it.

I just went through my "collection" and identified the country/area where all but three of my coins came from. I have at least one coin from each of the following:

Bahamas
    India
    Netherlands
    UAE
    Panama
    East Caribbean States
    Canada
    Australia
    Coasta Rica
    Spain
    Colombia
    Portugal
    China
    Cayman Islands
    Malaysia
    Honduras
    Mexico
    France
    Switzerland
    Barbados
    Swaziland
    Denmark
    UK
    Luxembourg
    Greece

But I have no idea where these three came from:

IMG_20170704_231203664.jpg
    IMG_20170704_231130191.jpg

If you have any idea about any of these, please let me know.

2. Bart Kela macrumors 6502a

Bart Kela

The one on the left with the hole is a Japanese 5 yen coin, worth approximately US$0.0442 (4.42 cents) at current exchange rates: their equivalent of a nickel.

Despite its low face value, it is considered a "good" denomination in Japan. More info at the Wikipedia article.

My guess is that if you photographed these individually and sent them to Google Images for identification, you'd have the answer for the other two.

I suppose I could edit your original image and do the work for you, but I'm too busy drinking beer and listening to the noise from the last public Independence Day fireworks show in my area.

3. Nermal, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The one on the right may be from Thailand; I think that that writing is Thai. As noted by Bart Kela, the left one is Japanese. Presumably the middle one is Chinese but don't quote me on that!

Edit: The middle one is apparently Taiwanese; that's what 中華民國 says. It seems to be celebrating 100 years.

4. Bart Kela macrumors 6502a

Bart Kela

I remain too lazy to edit and upload the image of the right hand coin to Google Image Search, but a brief waltz through the Internet has me thinking that it might be a Chinese coin from several decades ago.

The wear on this coin seems to indicate that it was not recently minted.

Due to the poor photography, I am unable to read the back of the Japanese 5-yen piece, but typically there is date related to the year of the imperial reign. Again, the Japanese coin appears to be well worn indicating that it is not a recently minted piece.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

昭和五十三年 so 1978.

6. curmudgeonette, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017

curmudgeonette macrumors 6502

I'm thinking the same thing.

On the tails side, the two symbols to the middle left seem to be Thai script for "25". This might be a 25 Satang coin. I thought it might be the first two digits of the year (the current year in the Thai calendar is 2560,) but the symbols to the right side don't appear to be numerals.

If it is a 25 Satang coin, the value is about 3/4 of a US cent.

7. Channan thread starter macrumors 68030

Channan

Uh, what? Lol the photo is fine. I took multiple and those were the best and easiest to read of the bunch. I can see everything perfectly clear on the two left coins in the pic.

The coin on the right is hard to make out in the pic, but it's equally hard to see in person. The coin is very worn and dark so it's hard to make out and even harder to take a good picture of.

But thanks to you all for the help. You're right, left is Japanese Yen, middle is Taiwanese, and right is from Thailand.