Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Firebrandmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Hi Guys,

How do you compress a 24 gig movie to fit onto a DVD in DVD studio Pro, I can't seem to get the compression low enough, as my last compression was about 5gig :(

And also which is better? To export a movie first from Final Cut Pro, then compress with compressor? or send it to compressor straight from Final cut?

many many thanks!

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
24gb of WHAT? For DV, that would be just under two hours, but other formats will vary. Go by the duration of your program:

Export a self-contained movie from FCP (File->Export->QuickTime Movie).

Use Compressor to encode the self-contained movie by choosing the preset that fits with your program's duration. Compressor will create an MPEG-2 video file and an AC3 audio file.

Import those two files into DVD-SP for authoring and burning.

-DH

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
24gb of WHAT?

I was thinking the same thing.

Firebrandmac, you may have to create a custom export setup in Compressor and lower the data rates until you get a size to fit the DVD. I'm sure there is a tutorial out there somewhere about how to do that.

There are several options for DVD MPEG2 exports. I think they are named in minutes such as 'DVD: Best Quality 120 Minutes 4:3'. I'm referencing Compressor 2. Same for the audio and you my want to drop AIFF.

Annunaki

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2006
Belgium
Hi,

A few weeks back, I actually wrote a little article on my Company Website which discusses the Pro's and Cons of exporting directly to compressor vs exporting a Self Contained movie first and bringing that into compressor.

You can find the corresponding article here.

From my personal experience I prefer to export a Self Contained movie using the same settings as the Sequence or Original material. Once that is done, I bring the movie into Compressor to do it's job.

But feel free to have a look at the article and do not hesitate to post comments on it :)

Regards,

Stefaan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.