need help with configurations of air vs pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mrscandyv, Jun 29, 2016.

1. mrscandyv macrumors newbie

my MacBook air:
    258 gb
    8gb ram
    13"

there is a MacBook pro with the following for the same price...

126GB
    8gb ram
    13" retnia

Is it worth me exchanging my current air for the pro?

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

What apps are you using?
    What are your priorities? (battery, screen, ...)
    What cpu/gpu does your mba have?
    What cpu/gou does the rmbp have?

3. mrscandyv thread starter macrumors newbie

I need storage mostly I guess

The attached is the specs of the pro
    --- Post Merged, Jun 30, 2016 ---
    This is my MacBook Air

Attached Files:

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

IF you need storage, why swap to something with half the SSD capacity? Mac laptops use proprietary parts so are prohibitively expensive to upgrade after purchase.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Why would you want to switch to the pro?

6. mrscandyv thread starter macrumors newbie

Primarily because of the screen and the trackpad

7. Wackery macrumors 6502a

buy a screen and trackpad instead?

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

So it's not the storage then?

Trackpad is identical, aside from Force Touch.

9. nnyymm macrumors regular

I rather get the Retina and get yourself a high storage thumb drive or hard drive

10. mrscandyv thread starter macrumors newbie

are the insides the same?

the reason I am thinking about switching to the pro are for the screen and the new trackpad...the reason im thinking of staying with the air is the storage and battery...

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

All you can do is make a choice, the screen is worth it my opinion but don't stint on storage if you need it, how about a refurb pro then you can get the storage you want and the screen you want. The trackpad makes no difference from my experience.

12. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

What do you do that you need the "better screen" and new trackpad? Have you tried the retina pro at a store.

I'm asking because for most tasks, the retina pro will used a scaled display (so your fonts aren't teeny-tiny and unreadable), and the scaling will be 1280x768. In effect for text and stuff, you will wind up with less screen real-estate than with the MBA.

Your photos will look more brilliant though...

13. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

Just to give you an idea of what I'm planning on doing - Purchasing the MBA for portability and using it for work. When I get back home, I'd plug it into a 4K monitor and use it alongside my external mouse and keyboard, as well as a magic trackpad on the side for scrolling and force touch.

14. nnyymm macrumors regular

Yeah. MBA is still a decent machine, even better since Apple made 8GB a standard. But of course if you are not on a budget, I will gladly grab the retina

15. mrscandyv thread starter macrumors newbie

See the thing is right now they are the same price. Only diff is the pro has the 128 storage vs air 256... AlReady have an Extertal hard drive would it really matter

16. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

In that case, it makes no sense to buy a machine with only half the storage of your MBA. Seems like a pretty simple matter (unless you were not serious when you said storage with your priority).

17. mrscandyv thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just asking if it would be a good idea to get the pro, and just use external storage to make up for the difference

18. Wackery macrumors 6502a

the answer is no

19. Pugly macrumors regular

Yeah, I tried doing this with my Air. I had an idea to store most of my unused samples on an external drive... I tried that for a day and I'll never do that again. Your computer becomes this weird dongle monster with the hard drive getting in the way. You always have to deal with files not being found. And you get the eject warning when you don't remember to eject it before packing up your laptop. And it becomes much less portable when you do some work on it on your actual lap.

So I just keep everything on the built in drive. I have about 80GB of the 256 to spare, and have diligent management of the storage. I might use an external drive for some steam games or something... but I don't plan to game on this machine much.

Going with a 128GB Pro vs a 256GB air is a very hard choice. It seems like you are getting a lot more with the Pro, but storage space is one of those things that makes a computer usable. None of the Pro features will help you when you are always shuffling files trying to deal with the small space. It's sucks that Apple makes it a $200 upgrade, but if you need that space you can't really compromise on it.

And if you can live with only 128GB, then the value of the Air becomes better compared to the Pro.