Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DP812

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
I'm in the middle of the very long process of converting my DVD library to iTunes for viewing on my Apple TV. First, I use Mac DVDRipper Pro to rip the movie off the DVD, then I use Handbrake to convert it for my Apple TV. For the most part, this process has been going smoothly, but for some odd reason, one disc in particular (The Color of Money) is giving me no end of headaches.

My first attempt ended up with a file that was only about two minutes in length (just the opening credits). At first, I thought it might just be a problem with the disc rip, so I tried again, this time ripping the entire disc image. Again, Handbrake gave me a file that was only two minutes long. I tried another program, iSkysoft iMedia Converter, and it gave me the full-length movie...except now, there was a really loud buzzing noise that completely overshadowed the audio. I tried to rip the DVD a third time, this time selecting MDRP's "rip and convert" option. Like Handbrake, this returned a file that was only two minutes in length.

I've only had this problem with one other disc, Takashi Miike's Dead or Alive. But with that disc, iMedia Converter managed to convert it just fine with no audio problems. The really strange thing is that even more recent DVD releases like Captain America have not proven this difficult to rip, and these releases are quite old. This is the first time I've had any problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can convert this movie?

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
I like (and use often) Mac DVDRipper Pro as well. It is 99% but there is the occasional title it has trouble with (like most any ripper). Try the relatively new (to Mac) DVDFab For Mac. Just use the 'HD Decrypter' module and it is free for life, no need to register. Otherwise it is like $40 or $50. If DVDFab can't rip it, it can't be done...used it for years and years on Windows and the Mac port seems to be just as reliable in my [albeit limited] testing.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If DVDFab can't rip it, it can't be done...used it for years and years on Windows and the Mac port seems to be just as reliable in my [albeit limited] testing.

I'm a big user of DVDFab as well ... both Mac and PC. I've also tend to believe that if DVDFab can't rip it, then it can't be done. Except I ran into an issue recently. I can't remember which movie it was, but DVDFab choked on it. The Windows version of DVDFab didn't work either. (I think the movie was either Sucker Punch or Scott Pilgrim)

The only app that worked was Fairmount. Seemed to take longer, but it worked.

In summary, every DVD-ripping Mac user should have the following apps:

1. VLC
  2. Handbrake
  3. DVDFab
  4. Fairmount

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.