Need help with converting MKV files...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MacRacer, Jan 25, 2009.

1. MacRacer macrumors regular

Hi, I am looking at a solution to convert a MKV file into a file like .m4v so it will work on an iPod and a Macbook Pro. I am looking for a solution that will not take a major impact on quality of the video. Someone in the forms posted a Guide for this but for PS3. What will the best solution for converting a 260 MB MKV file over to an working iPod and Macbook Pro file. I would perfer to have no quality lost even though the picture size is 640 x 480..

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you can play it on your computer with VLC.

there is a thread here in the video forum about converting the MKVs for playback on a PS3. check that out and then you will need to compress it for an ipod/iphone.

3. MacRacer thread starter macrumors regular

I know how to convert the MKVs for the PS3 through QT Pro, but I don't know how to do it for iPod. I have tried it in many ways but I don't know which one is the best solution. Just using the "Movie to iPod" settings, I lose quality.

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you are going to lose quality, that's compression.

go into the options for "movie to ipod" and up the bitrate if you're not happy with it.

5. MacRacer thread starter macrumors regular

I bumped up the bit rate by 3000 and the quality is real close to the same, but their seems to be a tad bit more color in the movie after I have converted it.