Need help with Cox SMTP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by calgal88, Jul 13, 2008.

1. calgal88 macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac and have recently purchased a MacBook. I'm trying to set up my email which is with Cox e-mail and it is having trouble sending the e-mail out. I've configured outgoing server to smtp.east.cox.net and port 587. Incoming mail is fine. Can anyone help?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Change it to port 25, make sure Use SSL is not checked.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you set to authenticate on port 587? I think that might be the issue... I don't think you can use that port without authentication (e.g. your Cox username and pw). I'm trying to remember how I had mine set up and if I used 587 or I just used Cox SMTP on 25 unauthenticated....

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Cox has historically blocked 25. Last time I looked at their support pages for a friend, that was still the case.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I thought they only blocked 25 when it went somewhere else other than their servers, but I could be wrong about that. They definitely do block 25 going to any outside server. I don't think I have my old config from when I was in Florida written down anywhere, though.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

TBH, I'm not sure anymore. They borked my cox.net address years ago, and I haven't bothered with it since (even though they're still my ISP).