Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
California
How do I know how to crop my photos in Aperture for printing from my XSi? I understand aspect ratio comes into play and I believe the XSi is a 3:2 ratio? So, in Aperture (or any app really), if I want to have an 8x10 printed, is it best to crop in Aperture and have my settings for 8x10 or ratio, then send off for the print?

Also, I've always ordered prints online, either from Apple or Shutterfly or Wal-Mart. I'm thinking of using Costco as a semi-professional friend of mine recommended them. When exporting my file from Aperture, is it best to export as a TIFF or a top quality JPG?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
So, in Aperture (or any app really), if I want to have an 8x10 printed, is it best to crop in Aperture and have my settings for 8x10 or ratio, then send off for the print?

correct. that way you can crop it how you like, since some printing software will crop it automatically.

Also, I've always ordered prints online, either from Apple or Shutterfly or Wal-Mart. I'm thinking of using Costco as a semi-professional friend of mine recommended them. When exporting my file from Aperture, is it best to export as a TIFF or a top quality JPG?

I don't believe there is a difference. just remember to set the color space to sRGB (or the printer's color profile) so the image on the screen is close to what the print will look like.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
How do I know how to crop my photos in Aperture for printing from my XSi? I understand aspect ratio comes into play and I believe the XSi is a 3:2 ratio? So, in Aperture (or any app really), if I want to have an 8x10 printed, is it best to crop in Aperture and have my settings for 8x10 or ratio, then send off for the print?

Crop in aperture as a version then export. That way you can get it how you want it.

Export high quality .jpg, Tiff is too large and not necessary for printing. The advantage of tiff is that you can go 16bit and it's lossless, so if you're shooting jpg you should convert to tiff for editing (but better to just shoot RAW). But for printing, stick to jpg (sRGB as noted)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.