Need help with deciding on MacBookPro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wunderbar911, Aug 21, 2012.

1. wunderbar911 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm undecided on which MacBookPro I should go for:

1) 2011 MacBook Pro (new) - $1576(tax included)
    ================================
    2.2GHz Quad-core Intel i7
    15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    500GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6750M

2) 2012 MacBook Pro (new) - $1860(tax included)
    ================================
    2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
    15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
    4GB 1600MHz memory
    500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

3) 2012 MacBook Pro w/Retina (new) - $2266 (tax included)
    =======================================
    2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    256GB flash storage1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

Between option 1 and 2, is the USB 3.0, BT 4.0, IvyBridge and better video card worth the extra $284?

Between 2 and 3, is the Retina screen, extra RAM, SSD, and 1G video card worth extra $400?

I'm really concern about the repairability of the Retina version with non-upgradable RAM, HD, and parts in general.

I'm sure other ppl who have recently bought MBP here have gone through these questions themselves and hope to get your opinions.

Thanks!

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Depending on your usage, Option 3 will be significantly higher performance than the other options, thanks to the SSD and increased RAM. I'm not sure the extra video memory makes much difference when using the laptop with the built-in screen, since there are so many more pixels to render. If you have the lid closed and are using an external monitor, then you'd effectively have extra video RAM available vs. the other models.

I don't personally see why anyone cares about the ability to repair the laptop themselves. The most I ever did on previous laptops was replace dying hard drives, which is less of an issue with SSDs than platter drives anyway. And I wouldn't hesitate to buy an iPod, iPhone, iPad, microwave, TV, projector, etc. that I couldn't repair myself either, but maybe that's just me.

You might regret being stuck at 8GB of RAM if you do Option 3, depending on your usage and how long you keep the laptop. The older MacBook Pros can have their memory upgraded down the line. Whatever you buy to begin with for the rMBP is what you're staying with.

----------

What do you use your computer for?

3. entraik macrumors 6502a

4. wunderbar911 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm also leaning towards option 2 since it provides couple of features and possibly better resale value (I would really like a 15" Macbook Air without the Retina screen :D) Too bad that is not something they make at this point. Option 3 scares me with the potential cost to fix any problems after the 1 year warranty. Imagine always have to potentially replacing the mainboard when things attached to it goes wrong!

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I got a rmbp and you know you can get apple care to extend the warranty. Either one of them will be expensive to repair outside of warranty. Not like having the classic will be significantly cheaper repairing.

Hobestly, I'd opt for the retina over the classic but that's me the classic is still a great machine regardless.

6. njean777 macrumors 6502

I usually say "once you go retina, you cannot go back". Just be ready to hate most monitors and laptops after you get the retina because nothing will compare to it.

As for your question I would go with the Retina, I have one myself and love it. I went back and forth on the cMBP and the rMBP and picked the retina and after having it for a day, I knew I made the right choice. It's quieter (at least to me) and when playing games it doesn't have the same jet engine sound the old pros have.

Either way you go, you are getting a great computer.

7. Orlandoech, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I agree. The exact same thing happened to me too. Picks a retina up, expecting to return it and I could never part with it. It's amazing.

both machines are amazing. I was skeptical about the rMBP because of all the horror stories Ive read, but I decided to give it a try since I had 14 days to return it anyway.

Needless to say, Its amazing and I love it. I thankfully have 0 issues with mine thus far. I still think the cMBP is amazing too, especially if you get the High-Res 1680x1050 display.

I put it this way, I was going to get a base cMBP because of the price. Then after thinking, I realize after buying 16GB 1600MHz ram on newegg.com for $110 and the $90 screen upgrade (total $200), I could get the base rMBP with 16GB added ram for $180 and have better resolution.

Also, I didnt want the rMBP because I wanted to add a 2nd HDD in the optibay of the cMBP, but I decided a USB3.0 external HDD would be sufficient enough for my needs. After being on this rMBP, Im so glad I got it. Its amazing.

I had a 2011 High-End MBP w/ High-Res Screen and it was amazing, the rMBP is even more amazing to me. I never need an optical drive and if I do, I have an External Samsung USB DVD-Burner. The 25% reduction in size was nice, but not THAT dramatic if measured in inches, .96 to .71 is it?

I actually like that the USB ports on the rMBP are on opposite sides because I always found that when they are right next to each other (like on the cMBP) fitting two USB items in at once may be tricky or impossible.

8. entraik macrumors 6502a

depends what you're getting a laptop for... i'm personally going for the cMBP because I need a laptop for audio production first over fancy display. Not to mention the absurd amount of lag I get on a maxed out spec system(safari mainly)... my old macbook air seems more snappier

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I dont experience any lag at 1440x900 hidpi or 1680x1050 hidpi

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Save money is the most important for me I would take option 1. :apple:

11. wunderbar911 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the feedback! I went it determined to get option 1 and walked out with the retina option 3!!! Hope I won't regret it. Btw if anyone is in the market for one I used my 10% staples coupon to get a Bette price. Coupon are good until Friday.:D

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

You wont regret it! Congrats!

13. wunderbar911 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'm coming from pc all my life so I'm sure it will initially feel weird with osx. Actually once I started to think about the retina display + ssd drive +more ram it made the decision easier. The real kicker was the glossy screen. I just felt like it bothered me enough that I wanted atleast the AG but that would require custom built from apple and no real discount. At that point it was not much cheaper than the base RMBP. Must admit that I will have to live with 8gb ram but I'm not a heavy graphics user. Mainly for browsing, some photo editing, programming and office work.

14. kjlake macrumors member

Congrats - I'm waiting for mine to arrive... Ordered online last Friday...