Need help with deciding

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by convoy9091, Dec 27, 2013.

1. convoy9091 macrumors newbie

I am trying to make the switch to Mac (I really don't like Windows 8) but I am having a hard time deciding what to get. I am mainly going to be using my new machine for basic use such as internet, some gaming, media (music, converting DVDs to digital, photo editing, etc.). I have looked at the low end rMBP and I am wondering if it would meet my needs. I originally thought about an iMac but portability is a nice feature to have and I can always add an external monitor. I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Thanks

2. Soendergaard macrumors newbie

Help from above

I think the rMBP would meet your needs with no doubt, and i really don't think you would regret et at all, especially when you like photo editing, my friend got it for that reason and the screen is a gem.

Good luck deciding. :)

3. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

If you plan on any 'serious' gaming ala new games like Bf4, you'll need the rmbp 15 inch with the 750m video card.. the iris pro is no slouch though but dedicated gpu and 2gb video ram is nice, I still have to play bf4 on low-medium settings for acceptable frame rates playing multiplayer online.

4. convoy9091 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I don't photo edit a lot but when I do it would be nice not to have a slow machine. Same with gaming. Ive tried to do diablo 3 on an older dell and it's slow so that would be another plus.

5. Soendergaard macrumors newbie

Diablo 3

Got a friend running D3 pretty acceptable on a 15'' MBP, with 8gb ram, i5 and the std. intel integrated graphic. :)

Do you play a lot of D3?

6. convoy9091 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't play a lot because of the PC situation but I was thinking of getting into it a little bit more if I get a Mac.

7. Soendergaard macrumors newbie

I see :) but i really think that the rMBP is a great choice. But what is the specifications for the one you're lokning at?

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you buy an rMBP, you don't have to max out the processor, but you should think of maxing out RAM and internal storage since neither of these are user-upgradeable post purchase.

Some gaming, how serious? If it's just Minecraft, you can just get a 13" rMBP with 16GB RAM. Converting DVDs on a 13", doesn't really matter whichever processor you use, because both the i5s and i7s on the 13"s have 2 cores and 4 threads.

4GB of RAM is inadequate. 8GB is okay. 16GB is better (I can max out 16GB of usage when running VMs, Photoshop and FCP X).

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're going to get into gaming more then you are now or are just above a casual gamer then I'd say the 13" rMBP is not the best choice. You'll want the 15" rMBP with the discrete GPU.

If mobility is not a concern, the iMac is a nice alternative because of the larger screen.

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Well, the OP said he wanted the mobility and he said that he could also plug in a Thunderbolt display.

Iris can handle Bioshock Infinite, Diablo 3, WoW and Starcraft 2 just fine, but if the OP is thinking of BF4 or NFS Rivals, yea, he'll be better off with the GT750M 15" MBP.

I do all my gaming on my 27" iMac with GTX780M because of overheating concerns on my rMBP, but maybe that's just me :D

11. Nabans macrumors newbie

Nabans

Take it or regret it

Go for it. Even though I've not exploited it till date. But I do a lot of photo/video editing and I can say that it is a beast. If I can do photo/video editing, why can't someone like you play games on it?