Need help with decision on video cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Pad18, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Pad18 macrumors member

Hey. I need a camcorder that is cheap and pretty decent. I need it for filming my friends, nothing to serious, but i still want it for an educational purpose, to teach myself how to direct and set-up shots and stuff. Please any advice will help me.

And I was thinking along the lines of the Canon ZR850

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I'm sure that'll be fine for your purposes.

If you are able to hit the $600 mark, I would maybe recommend a camera with 3 CCDs and the ability to white balance. That would be more useful if you're trying to get into video techniques.

But for just point-and-shoot stuff with your friends, that Canon will be fine.

3. Pad18 thread starter macrumors member

well, like i said, im not going to be filming anything serious but i want to save all the footage until i get a mbp so then i can fool around and edit it so i can teach myself how to do that as well..so is there any specific camera you would recommend?

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Anything with a DV out will work. Don't get something to small cause the shots will get shaky. You will be able to get away with a full auto set up at first but try to get something with manual controls so you can eventually get better looking material.

5. Pad18 thread starter macrumors member

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

7. Pad18 thread starter macrumors member

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Charge-coupled device, it is what divides red blue and green. If you get one of each a 3 CCD the colors look better because each one is separated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3CCD

9. Pad18 thread starter macrumors member

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

For what you will be doing any consumer camera will do. The best thing is how does it feel in your hand. Go to the store and try them out. Button placement is something to look for. I am a fan of Sony but everyone has a preference.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

12. Pad18 thread starter macrumors member

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

14. hogmog macrumors member

Based on experience would steer well clear of Canon. For work have used Sony, Panasonic and Canon camcorders in the £250-350 ($500-700) range and the Canon makes too much mechanical noise which is picked up during recording. Have had much wrangling with Canon over this - they think the noise level is acceptable. Their customers do not agree though! The Sony and Panasonics I have used don't make any noise. Apart from resolution / image quality discussed by others on this thread you also need to decide if you want some external connections such as lights, but probably more usefully an external microphone input.

15. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Best advice anyone could give! Pay attention to that statement.

If you are worried about mechanical noise as one of the other posters mentioned, you could also look into the HDD cameras. I recently bought a JVC, and if getting around the format they use isn't a bother to you, then i suggest it. If you are not such a tech saavy person, then definitely look into the camera you are planning on getting, ask questions, make sure it meets the requirements you have for it. Never trust the sales person. They may, oddly, have your best interest in mind, but generally as long as they sell something they don't care what you pick, and will tell you it will do whatever you think it should.

Best,

Brian

16. Pad18 thread starter macrumors member

thanks evryone..but i really have no clue about cameras so if its possible what would u guys recommend like for under or around $800?

17. York-Diuck macrumors member

York-Diuck

I decided on going with the Canon Elura after reading reviews on camcorderinfo.com. I suggest checking out their reviews on each camcorder your interested in. Their reviews are pretty helpful and hopefully help you find a camcorder to fit your needs. But like what was posted above, be sure to go into the store and try them out. In the end your going to have to use it, might as well do alot of research before buying one. good luck.