Need Help with designing an 'indoor map'

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by waterskier2007, Mar 26, 2013.

1. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

I have a project I will be working on soon, which will involve an indoor map of sorts. I will need to have a drawn out building and place 'vendors' at 'booths' within the area. It would be great if the booths were tappable like pins on a map. Does anyone have any idea how something like this could be accomplished?

Thanks for your time

2. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

Do you want GPS features to work (where it shows the user's current location on the map?)

GPS doesn't tend to work very well indoors, so it might not work very well.

The MKMapKit framework does not support custom map images. You'll have to do that yourself.

There is a sample project, "PhotoScroller", included in the Xcode docs that shows how to create a tiled, scrollable, zoomable image that's larger than the screen with lots of detail. I'd suggest using that as the starting point. You'd then need to build a pin system like Apple's map kit does.

Our company just took on a client that wants something very much like this. We estimated about 4 and 1/2 days for this work.

Our plan is to create a local map engine that has a data source, and uses a queue of recycled pin views, like the mapkit does.

3. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I've written a simple set of CSS / JS files that allows you to easily put together a scrollable page with popups when certain areas are tapped. Added bonus: it works on any browser. Also, it's pretty easy to animate the graphics if the browser is WebKit based.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll dig up the files.

4. waterskier2007 thread starter macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

No, that would not really be of good use, because with the small scale of the event, I doubt the positioning would be accurate enough to even be relevant

I will take a look at that project. Thanks