Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pat12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
Hey, I am a new mac user and have a MBP Retina with 128GB hard drive.

I downloaded the program Espionage that will be good to password protect and encrypt folders.

In my case, I want to password protect a folder with 20GB, the problem is that when I try that I get the error message that I no longer have the disk space to be able to encrypt and password protect the folder.

I choose AES-128 Sparseimage and Sparsebundle as an option when I did this.

When I then check the space on the computer, I see that encryption of the folder requires approximately 3 x 20GB which I dont have. My question is how I can get around this problem and it should be like this?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hey, I am a new mac user and have a MBP Retina with 128GB hard drive.

I downloaded the program Espionage that will be good to password protect and encrypt folders.

In my case, I want to password protect a folder with 20GB, the problem is that when I try that I get the error message that I no longer have the disk space to be able to encrypt and password protect the folder.

I choose AES-128 Sparseimage and Sparsebundle as an option when I did this.

When I then check the space on the computer, I see that encryption of the folder requires approximately 3 x 20GB which I dont have. My question is how I can get around this problem and it should be like this?

When I clicked on this thread I actually thought this one to be rather strange.:eek:

But it seems to be very legit.

The question is, do you want to access this folder often or not?

If not you could make a disk image in Disk Utility from this folder, and delete the original.

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 137

pat12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
When I clicked on this thread I actually thought this one to be rather strange.:eek:

But it seems to be very legit.

The question is, do you want to access this folder often or not?

If not you could make a disk image in Disk Utility from this folder, and delete the original.

Okey, I actually want to access it pretty often. Any other suggestion for that?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Okey, I actually want to access it pretty often. Any other suggestion for that?

I think that you could mount the disk automatically upon logging in, I will try to make a disk image myself now and try a few things, this can take a bit, like 15 minutes or so.

I''ll Be back

I made a sparseImage in Disk Utility, I placed it on the desktop as you can see in the screenshot below but can be anywhere you like.
I also dragged the Image into my Finder sideBar(Right now can not recall what it's called) and clicked on it for it to open.
If you go away you could eject the disk for instance.

Mounting on start up I don't know yet, this should be fairly easy as well, maybe like startup items in Accounts Preference panes.

Edit 1: I added the Image in Login items and upon logging in a password dialogue box shows up and I had to type the password, after this it is mounted, you can tick the box to save it into keychain and next time the box shouldn't appear.
Edit 2: Sadly it didn't unmount upon logging out, but I had another user account running, it will probably unmount if only one User is active, now I also found this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2620286?start=0&tstart=0

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Picture 2222.png
    Picture 2222.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

pat12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
I think that you could mount the disk automatically upon logging in, I will try to make a disk image myself now and try a few things, this can take a bit, like 15 minutes or so.

I''ll Be back

I made a sparseImage in Disk Utility, I placed it on the desktop as you can see in the screenshot below but can be anywhere you like.
I also dragged the Image into my Finder sideBar(Right now can not recall what it's called) and clicked on it for it to open.
If you go away you could eject the disk for instance.

Mounting on start up I don't know yet, this should be fairly easy as well, maybe like startup items in Accounts Preference panes.

Edit 1: I added the Image in Login items and upon logging in a password dialogue box shows up and I had to type the password, after this it is mounted, you can tick the box to save it into keychain and next time the box shouldn't appear.
Edit 2: Sadly it didn't unmount upon logging out, but I had another user account running, it will probably unmount if only one User is active, now I also found this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2620286?start=0&tstart=0

I dont know if I do wrong, but I get error that says that my harddrive is full..

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I dont know if I do wrong, but I get error that says that my harddrive is full..

It seems to me you have little spare space left on the disk, this is not really the best way, you should have at least 10-15 free space left on any boot disk, this for instance for VM, if your physical RAM runs out the System writes data to the disk in the form of a Swapfile, this can become fairly big.
Do you have anything in this folder:
/private/var/vm
Could also have a sleepImage there, might be huge if there are "Problems".
Check it out.

If you make a sparsedisk choose one which is what you think you need, don't make it too big, you can always make a bigger one if needed and copy from the old one to the new one.

pat12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
It seems to me you have little spare space left on the disk, this is not really the best way, you should have at least 10-15 free space left on any boot disk, this for instance for VM, if your physical RAM runs out the System writes data to the disk in the form of a Swapfile, this can become fairly big.
Do you have anything in this folder:
/private/var/vm
Could also have a sleepImage there, might be huge if there are "Problems".
Check it out.

If you make a sparsedisk choose one which is what you think you need, don't make it too big, you can always make a bigger one if needed and copy from the old one to the new one.

I had a SleepImage that was approx 9GB and 2GB swapfiles, don´t know if I could delete them or what the consequence would be.

And when I look in the storage overview I see that 24GB is marked as "Others". I have 30GB free.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I had a SleepImage that was approx 9GB and 2GB swapfiles, don´t know if I could delete them or what the consequence would be.

And when I look in the storage overview I see that 24GB is marked as "Others". I have 30GB free.

Hm, that's odd, no, don't delete sleepimage and VM, the sleepimage is needed for when you put the mac to sleep and is more or less the same size as physical RAM, it copies the RAM to disk, and the VM is when Physical RAM runs out of space.
24 GB as others are probably files other than Apps,Music, Pictures and so on.
#0 GB free should be sufficient for free space and I don't understand you can't make a simple sparseImgae or use the program since you have plenty left.

pat12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
Hm, that's odd, no, don't delete sleepimage and VM, the sleepimage is needed for when you put the mac to sleep and is more or less the same size as physical RAM, it copies the RAM to disk, and the VM is when Physical RAM runs out of space.
24 GB as others are probably files other than Apps,Music, Pictures and so on.
#0 GB free should be sufficient for free space and I don't understand you can't make a simple sparseImgae or use the program since you have plenty left.

OKey I understand.. Me neither, I don´t know how other could be so much.. I found a solution, I used the app MacKeeper´s encryption function instead and it worked good. Thank you very much anyway :)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
OKey I understand.. Me neither, I don´t know how other could be so much.. I found a solution, I used the app MacKeeper´s encryption function instead and it worked good. Thank you very much anyway :)

Hm, MacKeeper, not really a fan of that app, although the encryption might work for you.
Be careful with MKeeper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.