Need help with extending my Time Capsule Wifi Network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PatriotInvasion, Feb 13, 2014.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I just moved to a bigger house and am having inconsistent wifi speeds depending on my proximity to my Time Capsule. I get 15/5 MB/s from Verizon FiOS that dips down to about 1MBs on the opposite side of my house. I'm thinking that I'll need to extend my wireless network but wanted some advice on which option below would be best:

1.) Purchase a new AirPort Express to "catch" my existing wifi network and extend it out to the other side of my house

2.) Utilize my Verizon FiOS modem/router as the primary base station and relocate the Time Capsule to the other side of the house to extend the network (is this even possible using AirPort Utility :confused: or do I need an Apple-only device setup?)

Obviously Option 2 would be best if possible since I won't need to buy any new equipment. Ethernet cords aren't an option without tearing walls apart so trying to do this wireless only. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

To extend with the Verizon router, it would need to support the WDS standard, and I would be very surprised if it does.

This leaves you with option one.

You might look at the home plug wired extenders. Those have gotten very inexpensive and they work pretty well now. You could use that to extend a wired signal to the Express at the other end of the house.

Or... like you said, if the house if not that big, but the Express at the halfway point to extend wirelessly.

Here is an Apple support article that may be of some help.

3. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

OK, thanks. Shame I have to buy another router when I already have 2 routers (one being the modem/router combo from Verizon FiOS). At least the AirPort Express isn't too pricey.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Use an extreme, not express, if you want the ac spec wifi throughout the network.

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Try the newest 'tower' TC, new designs have much better range

6. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Well, I repositioned my FiOS modem/router and Time Capsule to a more open room in the house and it seems to be providing more consistent speeds throughout. I'm getting 30-50 MB/s everywhere upstairs and don't see a loss in speed until I get to the back corner of my downstairs. There, it drops to 8-15 MB/s, which is still a healthy speed. I think I may be able to avoid having to extend the network after all.

Now, I have a free month on FiOS's 50 MB/s plan until I have to decide if I'd rather save the money and downgrade back to 15 MB/s. We'll see.