Need help with external blu ray writer, only plays DVDs and CDs.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marcel-v, Sep 8, 2009.

1. marcel-v macrumors regular

Hi guys, I just bought an external LG blu ray player and am trying to get it to work on my iMac. It only came with windows software, and having installed it on my windows partition, th best it will do is only play audio. I have snow leopard installed and there doesn't seem anything on it to play blu Ray discs.

Is it a software or hardware problem? I have a radeon 1600 graphics card, is it too outdated now?

2. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, are there any recommend applications at least that I can try to play blu rays with?

3. davwin macrumors regular

Blu-Ray disc playback is currently not supported under any version of OSX unfortunately. Windows is your only option for now to play the discs and as far as Windows software goes: WinDVD HD or PowerDVD HD are the most widely used for Blu-Rays although both have known issues. I would also recommend you get AnyDVD HD which will allow you to remove HDCP, region restrictions and other problems for playback or ripping under Windows.

You can of course use MakeMKV under OSX and create a full resolution copy of the BD in MKV format that will play just fine in OSX using the Perian plug-in, VLC or Plex (best option IMO). The rip process is surprisingly fast too - as little as 30minutes on a MacBook but, this option also has a few known issues; specifically with BD+ discs.

Really, you're probably going to have to use a combination of these apps under Windows and OSX to cover playback/ripping Blu-Rays.

4. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much for your help, I'll give it a go. Appreciate your time!! :)

5. jwe3 macrumors newbie

Looking for Best Blu-ray Player

Which MKV media player works best on a 24" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz system running OS 10.6.3?

Thanks Much