need help with external sound card

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hotrod24, Jan 9, 2009.

1. hotrod24 macrumors newbie

hello everyone,

just purchased my first macbook and its pretty sick. Now i had a desktop before with a 5.1 speaker system and would like to use that system with my mac. I have read several threads on this topic but have not gotten a clear answer. I own the new macbook so I have no firewire; cant use firewave!!!wish i could...so I want to know if there is something in the price range of the firewire that uses usb? my speaker do not support optical! WHAT CAN I DO?

2. hotrod24 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. little nin macrumors newbie

you can't do anything from what i know, i pretty much had the same problem.

i ended up buying a creative soundblaster, which did give me 5.1 but that was only with ac3 things, and then DVD Player app wouldn't know that i had the external soundcard etc. so sound would only come out of the front 2 speakers from normal files. i think m-audio do a few externals but they're not as cheap as the griffin one.

4. leishan macrumors 6502

Check the M-Audio site--they have several things that might work.

5. hotrod24 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea but if i go with m-audio might as well buy real good 2.1 speakers

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Have you tried looking/posting in the Digital Audio section, or searched?

IIRC, there's been a thread or two on this. Some products exist, but they differ greatly. (Quite a few are aimed at professional audio). USB and FW interfaces exist, and I would think you can find something simple enough for sound output.

Sorry I don't have specifics :eek:, but the comment about M-Audio is a good start.

7. little nin macrumors newbie

it's not worth getting 5.1 if you can't get the rear stereo speakers to play the same sound as the front two too

8. hotrod24 thread starter macrumors newbie

nanofrog,

i have searched!...ive looked at the m-audio site but the problem is that if I am going to spend that type of money Id rather just get a 2.1 speaker system. Hopefully griffin comes out with a firewave that works with usb because that would be perfect! and have you found one on or below $50?

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

I haven't looked in awhile, so I'm not sure. :eek: (I was looking mainly at RME, but they don't make anything near that inexpensive that I recall.) :(