Need Help with File Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rhyalus, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Hello All,

I want to make sure that I am not sharing too much.

On my home network, I want to share the Documents directory, and then specifically, a directory tree (let's call it "Work") that is under the Documents directory.

Under "Get Info", I added an account and gave it read/write permissions so that I can access the data from a Win 7 computer. There is also an "everyone" acct with Read & Write listed as the permissions, as well as the default acct on the MacBook Pro with Read & Write permissions.

I understand that "everyone" is not really everyone, but how can I be sure that when I am at a hotel or airport that I am not exposing my data?

Did I do this right?

Thanks,
    R

2. simsaladimbamba

Go into System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing to setup shared folders and its user, as the "Sharing & Permissions" "tab" in the GET INFO window might screw up permissions.
    Btw, if you are on a hotel network and have only selected that "Work" folder to be shared via System Preferences, than that will be the only folder visible to users with the correct credentials, thus others on the same hotel network can't access it.

Mac OS X - Setting Permissions

3. Rhyalus thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Sorry - one more point of information.

For both the Documents and Work directories, I have clicked the "Shared" option under get info.

R

4. simsaladimbamba

To edit your posts, you can use the [​IMG] button.

5. Rhyalus thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Thanks for the info, Sim...

I had already used Get Info under Finder to set the permissions, and also to apply them recursively to all of the subdirectories. Everything has been working fine from the Windows 7 PC.

So this step is not needed if the sharing is set under the File Sharing in preferences?

Also, what should the default "everyone" settings be in the public folder, Documents and Work?

Thanks again,
    R