Need help with Finder EMERGENCY

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lynkynpark86, Dec 12, 2010.

1. lynkynpark86 macrumors 6502

I was ejecting a camera, and I got the Spinning Wheel of Death. So, being the moron I am, I force quit Finder. Now, Finder won't open. I click it's dock icon, and I get "The application Finder.app can't be opened. -10810" as a dialog. I tried to open Terminal to halt, and Terminal closed my window and can't be re-opened, leaving my dock frozen and non-functional (I have "magnify" enabled on my dock, and the Terminal icon is still enlarged with it's name above it; I can't click icons). So basically, I'm left with no Finder, no Terminal, no Dock, no Menubar (no clue why), and a connected hard drive with very important data on it, so I'm not going to risk massive consequences by removing the battery. Basically, how can I properly eject a hard disk without Terminal, Finder or the Dock (therefore, no applications folder). My only open non-daemon applications running are Safari (with a window already open, leaving me able to post this, thank god) and Terminal (frozen and inoperable). I have no remote command-line access. HELP!!!

EDIT: Just remembered, thanks to QuickSilver triggers, I have access to Activity Monitor, Xcode, and Notational Velocity (Not sure how that would help)

2. lynkynpark86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick reply, but I have a connected hard disk with important data on it. I can't loose it, unless it's loosing data or loosing my computer because it stayed on forever

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Rebooting does not remove data from any hard drive.

4. lynkynpark86 thread starter macrumors 6502

but doesn't un-ejected disconnecting of a hard drive threaten data loss? And I can't do an actual reboot, I need to remove the battery, which I'm 100% positive won't eject.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Only if you're in the middle of writing to the hard drive, and even then, it would only affect the file being written. Just reboot.

6. lynkynpark86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, thanks

7. lynkynpark86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just did that, it worked fine and no data loss. Thanks for the help!

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

For future reference, just hold down the power button for about 6 seconds or so until the computer turns off. This is easier and faster than unplugging the computer and removing the battery.