Need Help with Finder Sorting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HeyTerrance, Jun 9, 2009.

1. HeyTerrance macrumors newbie

In Finder, I noticed that when I Sort by Name things are a little off.
    (ex.) "File 2.lol" is before "File.lol"

Is there a way to fix this?
    Thanks.

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

did you click the "name" bar? Usually that reverses the order it sorts by (ie: Ascending/descending). You can also click other things like "date" "kind" "size" to sort by those.

Maybe it's just that simple, or maybe I'm misinterpreting this.

Also I should add that In Leopard, since it appears to be iTunes like, maybe there is an arrow or column just before the "name" column that you can sort by like iTunes has. I'm not sure, I don't have Leopard.

3. HeyTerrance thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's in the right order.
    Give me some credit; I'm not a (complete) idiot.

Here's a picture of the problem.
    Look at "Alien 3" and the other files
    [​IMG]

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Hmm that is strange. . I checked my (Tiger) finder and my numbered movies display in order.

Only other thing I can think of is based off iTunes. I had 3 tracks from the rapper "DMX" named:

Damien i
    Damien ii
    Damien iii

iTunes ordered the first 2, but placed the third one about 5 songs down. I cross referenced the metadata and the third one was set as "track 12 of __" The other ones didn't have track numbers on them (I actually erased metadata trying to get them together, but somehow that stayed).

Anyway, Once I erased the track number, it immediately went to join it's friends i & ii

So maybe Leopard's finder has some type of metadata or way of sorting other than what the file names are. Other then that I have no clue what would be causing it, maybe someone else has more knowledge on leopard.

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I've been trying things out in that same view with 3 text documents labeled the same as your alien movies.

Unfortunately, Finder still lists it the same as yours with the 3 on top, and Resurrection under that, giving it a 3,4,2,1 order.

Finder is seeing the "3" and placing it before any letter in the other titles. It is also seeing the "R" which comes before "s", and placing that before the other two titles.

The only solutions I've come across so far are:

-Re name them to:
    Alien 1
    Alien 2
    Alien 3
    Alien 4
    -OR-
    Alien I
    Alien II
    Alien III
    Alien IV

the other solution is a little less practical. .

"Get Info" on each movie, and place a number in the "spotlight comments" box. Use that finder view to sort by spotlight comments.

that would order the movies, but throw them at the bottom of the list.

I'll see if there is any other Method. . In the mean time, check out iVideo 4. It may help if you get fed up with the Finder way, but don't want to use iTunes as a movie library.

Edit:

My Final solution. .

Create a Sub-Folder called "Alien Quadrilogy". Place the Alien movies in there, and do the spotlight comment thing I mentioned above. Sort that folder by spotlight comments, and they will be in a 1,2,3,4 order upon double clicking the folder.

It also works (for me anyway) if I enter the folder in Grid view, then select column view. (ie, it keeps the sort order as "by spotlight comments" even upon switching views)