Need Help With Games On Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Floogle94, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Floogle94 macrumors newbie

Bassicly all is well with bootcamp, i downloaded it a few days back and its running good. The only problem is it is hopeless with windows games. I done research before i installed it that all these games would run fine on my specs and as soon as i play them its just very laggy. all settings are down completely low. The games i have problems with are COD 4, CSS, And Aion. My specs should be able to run them. Is it possible the ram is split or something between the 2 systems maybe?

On the windows side i have 80gb hard drive with 45gb free space remaining.
    I have Windows XP Home edition, and the latest nvidia drivers installed.
    Intel core 2 duo 2.00ghz. 1.99ghz *thats just what is ses* and 2.72gb of ram.

I dont know much about this side of computers so please if you have an explanation go into detail :) thanks.

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

What about the GPU of your Mac and the graphics requirements of your games. How do they match up?

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I don't think its a problem with the computer splitting resources, that would only happen if using virtualization software such as Parallels or VMWare Fusion. When you restart the computer, it reallocates all the system resources for whichever OS you select.

One thought though, if your computer has the integrated and discrete video cards, which one are you using? I don't have a 15 or 17", or Boot Camp setup for that matter, to make an educated recommendation, but if you have it set to the integrated video card that may be why you're getting poor performance. If you can find a way to have the computer use the discrete card you will probably be able to bump up the visuals and effects a bit more.

4. Floogle94 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the replys, the game requirments are far below what I have but ill try google up that thing with the video card. ;)

5. Floogle94 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any further information? i googled it and i cant seem to find out how to try that :(

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Without knowing the specs of your Mac, it's hard to say.

Go to the menu, click on the Apple button, and select "About this Mac".
    In the window, click on the "More info..." button.
    In the first tab, Hardware, what is the "Model Identifier" number?

Then tell us whether you've added anything to (or modified any of) your computer's hardware. Did you pop in a new hard drive? You report 2.72GB of RAM, which is a strange number -- what's your RAM configuration.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

I think this is what you see in 32 bit windows - only can access 3gb ram, and .25 mb goes to the video memory.

8. Floogle94 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the replys again guys, umm this is what is says

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB51.0073.B06
    SMC Version (system): 1.32f8
    Serial Number (system):
    Hardware UUID: 21CAD010-3BE5-5EA1-A31A-CB11B6D1313A
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

And yes sorry, i realised the windows side has 3gb of ram because thats the max, on the mac side it has 4gb. It was originally 2gb but i got another 2 added to it because i thought that might fix the problem.

I now also have another problem :(. On the windows side thats the only one i have games, and when i play them the top left of the base of my macbook gets extremely hot, so hot that you cant hold your fingers on it or it will hurt.
    It has gotten to the point where it cuts out in the middle of a poorly running game because its gets so hot.

So far my mac experience has not been so good :mad: Lawl

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

That MacBook has the Nvidia GeForce 9400M that shares its 256MB of memory with the main system. Supposedly it can address even more on the Windows side.

Honestly, none of the MacBooks were built for gaming, or other graphics-processor intensive tasks. This isn't an issue with your computer so much as with the whole line of products in this range.

My guess is that the integrated graphics chip is what's causing your problem. Since it's integrated to the logic board, this isn't something you can upgrade yourself.

The only other thing I can suggest at this point is to be sure that you lower all of the graphics settings on your games, and to make sure that you're playing in a cool, well-ventilated space to help with the heat issue.

Have you tried the system requirements test on the Windows side. This forces you to download a small plugin that tests your system, but you can check it against specific games.
    http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/

10. Floogle94 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, i tried the link to see what games i could run, and supposedly i should have a great experience running aion, i passed not only on minimum but also on reccommended, by almost double.

11. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

If you bought a MacBook mostly for gaming, I'm going to say that you made a mistake. You would get more for your money and it would run games better if you got a windows non-apple laptop. If you didn't then disregard this.

Only issue I can really think of is a driver issue. Go to Nvidia's site and download the latest 9M Series driver for your OS.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You don't download bootcamp.

Did you install the bootcamp drivers?

13. rekhyt macrumors 65816

That's also crucial for connecting to the internet too. And support of the graphic card.