Need Help With Getting Info Off HD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iGoogler, Feb 9, 2010.

1. iGoogler macrumors member

I have my hard drive in my hands, it is a Fujitsu MHW2120BH (google it) I need to know what HD dock I can use to get access to the files on it as it holds my life. Can I use bootcamp and run it via a HD dock? What do I do to get the info off of it, what dock should I buy? Please help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The HDD is a 2.5" S-ATA HDD which you can access by S-ATA docks that hold such HDDs and are connected to your computer via USB or you get a USB HDD enclosure for 2.5" HDDs, as they are much cheaper to get, around 10-20€.

When do you say Boot Camp, does that mean, your Mac OS X system is no longer available? If the Fujitsu HDD is using the Mac OS Extended (HFS+) file system, you need third party software like MacDrive (49USD), which has a trial working fully for seven days, to access your data on that drive via Windows.

3. iGoogler thread starter macrumors member

I do have my iMac, I was just seeing if I can boot my mac from that drive rather then my iMacs.

Edit: Which enclosure would you recommend that WILL work with that HD?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If the Mac is an Intel Mac (from 2006 onward), you can boot from any HDD that is connected via USB. I don't know if you can boot into Boot Camp though, when the Boot Camp partition is on the Fujitsu, but you can definitely boot into Mac OS X on the Fujitsu.

5. iGoogler thread starter macrumors member

Perfect, can you answer the other question then I can go onto buying =D your amazing

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I linked to Newegg's product list of different HDD enclosures, just pick one. They all work, maybe they will not give you the maximum transfer rate o 35MB/s over USB, but they should give 25MB/s.
    I don't have a definite enclosure to recommend, as where I currently reside (Germany) there are other offers than where you live.