Need help with hard drive upgrade (Original)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nickmccally, Apr 18, 2012.

1. nickmccally macrumors member

Hey guys ~

Why is it so hard to find solid information on the macbook air hard drive? I have searched high and low and I get so much conflicting information. I figured I'd ask where people may have done the upgrade themselves or have more info about it.

I have a A1237
    Production: Jan 15, 2008 - Oct 14, 2008
    Factory: China
    Production Year: 2008
    Production Week: 03 (January)
    Production Number: 2802
    Base Storage: 80GB 4200RPM EIDE 1.8"

This is all per powerbookmedic. I need to at least make an upgrade to a 120gb drive. The problem I keep reading about is clearance with the thickness being too much.

Can anyone give me specific model numbers that are compatible?

Thank you! :apple:

2. marcovortex macrumors member

marcovortex

Sorry to be the one to bear bad news.. but your out of luck. It can't be upgraded. The original Air basically used a iPod hard drive unless you went with the SSD.
    You might be able to get an iPod classic HDD in there but it's not going to be supported or easy to do.
    The original Air just wasn't built in a way that allowed upgrades..

3. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

It looks like the MBA uses a 1.8" 5MM PATA drive, it appears only Samsung makes a compatible drive and it requires a 40 pin ZIF connector. It could be difficult sourcing an HDD and the few I was able to find are pretty expensive. Here is a guide on how to do the actual replacement which is a lot more involved than the MB or MBP.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook-Air-Models-A1237-and-A1304-Hard-Drive-Replacement/860/1

----------

Your honestly far far better off getting an external HDD. You can get a 1TB external for around $120. Or there are guides to using a large SD card as the memory for iTunes or whatever, it explains which to buy and how to flush mount it.