Need Help With Hard Drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jumpman25, Feb 29, 2008.

1. jumpman25 macrumors regular

I'm in the middle of upgrading the hard drive in my 2.4GHz Macbook Pro and I cannot for the life of me get the front of the case to come up. The back and both sides come up just fine, but the front won't move a bit. All the screws are removed. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks

2. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

You just have to "lever" it up and down and the clips along the front edge will release. Take your time and it will come off...

MacDann

3. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

Exactly what MacDann said. I replaced hard drives in both my MBP and regular MB. i have relaced hard drives in multiple MBPs. The front is the hardest part to get up. The best thing to remember is PATIENCE. If you try to quickly and just rip it up, you will get it, but tou will also have a nice big gap between the keyboard and the bottom casing. Go slow and put some force on it but not to much. Take your time and eventually it will come up.

Good luck!

4. a4abt macrumors regular

You are at the most critical step IMO!

Be patient, try different angles and be very careful. It will eventually unsnap. After it unsnaps, be really careful because there is a wire connecting the keyboard lid to the motherboard.

don't worry, this step is the hardest I believe. Once you get the keyboard lid removed, everything else is a piece of cake!

Enjoy the upgrade

5. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help, I ended up getting the front to budge, just wasn't using enough force. Now I'm having a different problem. The part where the hard drive is stored is different from the guide. The retaining bracket is on the right side, I remove that and the hard drive is still held in place by another bracket that I can't figure out how to remove. The hard drive is sitting on top of this bracket, and the little nubs on the side of the hard drive are attached to the bracket. Did apple change the design or something recently? Any updated guides?

6. Sdao macrumors 6502

I opened my MBP up to do an HD replacement the other day and at first glance it looked as if the HD was still held in after I removed the bracket on the right side. All you have to do, after removing the right bracket, is slide the HD to the right and the 2 silver screws on the left side will slide out of the 2 rubber grommets on the left side.

See if it works.

7. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

Just tried this. There is no room for the hard drive to slide to the right. The right side lifts up just fine but the left side is still attached to a bracket that the whole hard drive appears to be sitting on.

8. Sdao macrumors 6502

Thats odd, can you take a picture and post it?

9. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

10. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so i ended up figuring it out. Turns out you were right sdao. I ended up lifting from the right side and then pulling it to the right and it came out. Didn't know those screws went in that deep. In the guide it looked like they lifted from the front. Anyway, thanks for your help.

11. Sdao macrumors 6502

No problem. Good luck with the rest of your install. :)