Need help with help windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ffifield, May 13, 2008.

1. ffifield macrumors newbie

I'm a new Mac user who is working the help files overtime as I learn my new machine. Most of the time when I use help I find myself wanting to switch between the help window and the window of the application I need help with. Unfortunately the help window wants to always be on top. Is there any way to modify this behavior? I would like to be able to put the help window in the background while using it.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This same question was raised in another thread. Alas, this behavior is by design - the help is supposed to stay on top so you can read it while doing whatever it was you summoned the help for.

I would suggest sizing the windows such that the help window and the application window are next to each other - this way you have the best of both worlds.

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Actually the new version of Cocktail (shareware) for Leopard (4.1) now includes the option of not having help windows float on top of windows.

4. ffifield thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about the duplicate post. I searched but apparently I didn't word it properly. I'll check out Cocktail and see how that works for me.

Thank you for your replies. :)