Need help with how to make products

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TSE, May 25, 2008.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Hi, I have a great and wonderful idea for a product for the MacBook Pro. I want to sell this because I think this would sell very good, but I don't know how to start selling because I know I cannot make this product on my own and it would be very hard to. I already have a basic design laid out with what materials need to be used, the dimensions, etc.

How do I have a company make these for me?

I live in Minnesota, and I am 14 and my parents said I need to make money my own way. I have my own bike repair shop in my garage, but unfortunately I am losing focus in that and I am not making much off that deal.

I am planning on selling this via my own website and with Paypal or money order.

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

In order to get a deal with any company to manufacture your product for mass production and sales, you'll need to be able to sign a contract. In USA, you're not legally able to sign a contract of this sort until you're aged 18.

Have you talked this idea over with your parents? They could sign a contract on your behalf, but there's a lot more to it than just thinking of an idea. Do you think you could build a prototype? Do you have CAD files, or drawings that explain the function and design of your product? Are you aware of patents to protect your idea?

Inventing a product is awesome. I commend you on this, even without knowing what it is you've created (you're right not to share this). I don't want to discourage you, but I'll give you an idea of what's involved.

First off, it'll cost money. Think of it from the manufacturers viewpoint. You're asking them to invest time, materials, labor, etc. into creating your product. They won't even consider this unless you're able to at the very least, outline when and how they'll recoup their investment, plus profits.

More realistically, they'll require these things to be paid up front. When a new product is created, their is a lot involved. If the manufacturing is done with machines, they have to be set up to perform the task of building the components of the product. Even if it's a handmade item, there will be training and labor costs involved as well.

But first, you'll have to do your research, and possibly patent your idea. Before you do anything, you should research patents in order to make sure nobody else has already thought of your idea, and is either currently manufacturing, plans to, or will require payment in order for you to manufacture the (their) idea. PATFT

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I will not give out the information for the idea at this time.

I do have detailed blueprints of what it is, with measurements and everything. I am very good with engineering and stuff like this. I will hopefully make a prototype with sheet metal sometime this week.

How do I contact a company? What company do I contact?

Thanks for the help.

4. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

It will be at your best concern to get patents before you contact a company. You can contact a company and submit your work to them, just for them to find out there no patent. Next thing you know that company has a great new invention. First you need to design your product (IE:BluePrint with details/CAD is best)(Looking at some of Apple blueprints they used for Patents is just a simple drawing. Funny in some ways). Then you need to research your product to make sure there is not patent/copyright violations. If you are all clear, you then need to get a patent. Then lastly make a prototype and a way to present your self to a company.

Best of luck Steven.