need help with ibook A1005

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JAW01, Aug 11, 2013.

1. JAW01 macrumors newbie

I just picked up a ibook a1005, 20gig hd, 600mhz, 512 mem, with OS 9.2.2 and a OSx disk. This is my first apple notebook, so i havent a clue what im doing.

Here is my problem:
    -it will boot up to splash screen, and i see MacOS 9.2.2, then goes to the landing page or desktop. its just a blue background, with wavey lines from top to bottom. from there i cant get anywere. no log on screen or anything. it powers on and off, shortcuts commands work. I have the OSx disk, ver 10.0.1, and one iMac software restore 1 of 4 disks.

i keep getting a message saying my clock and date is set to 1973 ? is there a way to pull up a command line to correct this error, format drive, and re-install OS ?

Could i just install OSx, without 9.2.2 ?

Tnx.

2. skateny macrumors 6502

skateny

I hate to pour water on your iBook's problems, but it's nearly eleven years old. It has a G3 PowerPC processor, which is the least powerful among G3s, G4s, and G5s.

From what you describe, there can be any among a number of problems, including the PRAM battery, the logic board, the iBook's main battery, cable connections, and more.

I don't have the time right now to go through a troubleshooting check list with you, but I'm sure there will be others happy to do so.

3. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

4. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

iBook's don't carry pram batteries.

5. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Ok, well then the op should install os x.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This correction is getting a bit worn, but iBooks do not have a PRAM battery. If you want the clock to stay and not get that dialog at boot, replace the main battery. Have you tried starting it up with extensions off (press shift at the chime until you see the Finder face).

Nice to see it sticks to some people.

7. JAW01 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to install OSx, im getting an "error 1" , then it deletes a few files ?

----------

I have tried every possible key combo i could find, and now all it is doing on boot up is giving me a flashing folder t hat goes from a folder with to faces in it, to a blinking question mark ?

8. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Boot from the os x disc by pressing C key when you power up the machine and when the disc is in the drive. It would good to know if the hard disk is healthy, but atleast in Tiger and Leopard you have the option to check condition of disc before proceeding. If the hard disk and/or installation disc are bad it is if course waste of time trying to install. But if they are good then wipe the hard disk and instal OS X, because you say it is your first Mac I assume you have no need for OS 9 (no spesific app to run).

9. JAW01 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks,

I just tried to install it again. this is the error message i get after a few seconds:
    "The installer has unexpectedly quit. (error 1) "
    then it goes threw-

kmod_destroy: com.apple.driver.AppleDACAudio (id 45), deallocating 5 pages starting at 0x68f1000.....

and few more of those as follows, then just sits there waiting for any key to be hit, for restart. ???

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It was NOT me this time!!! :D

And, uh , yeah. OS X is Unix based, not Linux! :)

11. Springsteen macrumors member

Springsteen

Have you ereased the drive? Many times that is all that it takes.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OK guys. The way I interpreted the first post goes something like this.

The OP booted to the desktop in OS9. The OP was expecting to be presented with some sort of login box as is common with OS X and Windows. But OS9 boots straight to the desktop, unless you install a specific control panel.

The wavy lines from top to bottom I interpret to be one of those wackjob wallpapers that came bundled with OS9. At this point the OP had an operable Mac running OS9.

The OP does not mention he saw a hard disk on the desktop so possibly it wasn't completely booting. But the fact that the OP was getting a Date/Time warning says the control panels were functioning. Shortcuts worked, so I'm led to believe he could at least navigate the OS. Maybe not.

OP, sorry to inform you but OS9 is not Windows. There never was a command line. Trying to find one would have been fruitless.

Next the OP says he has an OS X disk and it's suggested he install OS X. Did anyone catch the fact that it's OS X 10.0.1?!

So, that get's installed and there's an error. OP, the flashing question mark means that the Mac can no longer find a valid system folder to boot from.

I really think you probably want to find a copy of OS X 10.3, or 10.4, which is generations beyond that pathetic version 10.0.1 you have right now. For one thing, it will probably install correctly.

I can't really help with errors on OS X versions that old. I came in at System 7 through 9 and skipped everything OS X until 10.2.3.

13. JAW01 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you, i think you covered it all, :)

i did not format the drive, since all my tools are window based. is there a free tool i can DL to run from boot-up to format the HD? i was thinking if i just erased the HD and tried to install just the OSx disc i have, maybe it might work. As this is my first apple, its the learning curve for me atm. I have a 60gig segate hard drive i can use, but its been erased with a windows base tool. If i install it, will the OSx disk be able to write to it, and re-format it?

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OK. Learning curve time. :D

If I cover something you already know, bear with me. You have a PowerPC based Mac, which is different than the Intel based Macs Apple started making in 2006. Any format of your hard drive you are going to want it to be formatted as HFS+ (Journaled). That's for OS X.

You can format the hard drive. But you need to boot from the CD/DVD to do so. Put the disk in the drive, and hold down the OPTN key when you reboot. Select the CD drive and click the arrow button. The OS X installer will come up. In the Utility menu will be Disk Utility. Use that to format the drive then go back to the installer and install OS X.

Note that the iBooks and PowerBooks all use IDE/PATA, so if the spare drive you say you have is SATA, you can't swap it. Lastly, getting the hard drive out of the iBooks, especially the early one's is extremely complex and involved and you're liable to break a few things.

15. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

You forgot to mention to format the drive to Apple Partition Map (APM) and not MBR. This can be done by clicking the option button on the Disk Utility window.

16. JAW01 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, i tried to run the disk with option pressed, and this is the results i got:

after a few mins of what looked like it might be loading, i got error message again in 2nd pic.

Attached Files:

17. JAW01 thread starter macrumors newbie

this is what i get when i try to just boot up. please see pics in order of events.

Attached Files:

18. JAW01 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for multi posts, but all the pics wouldnt fit into 1 post.

* after a few mins of sitting at the first screen (pic 1) i get this pop-up message, and then it just locks up. i have to hold the power button down to restart it.

here is a pic of my disks i have to work with.

Attached Files:

19. eyoungren, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, but would OS X 10.0.1 even HAVE the ability to partition as MBR?

We're talking OS X Public Beta or Cheetah here. Sorry, don't have my cats straight before Jaguar.

----------

Well, that means OS9 is booting. It's loading a Control Panel or Extension that references something online it looks like.

Taking OS X out of the mix. Reboot and hold down SHIFT while the Mac is booting. You want the OS9 screen to say "Safe" or "No Extensions" or something like that. That will let you get to the desktop and won't load any of the startup items.

You can then go in and remove the Control Panel or System Extension that is causing the hang.

EDIT: That gray disk you show is specific to the iMac, not your iBook. I can't really help with the OS X disk or why it's Kernal Panicking (the code lines you are getting).

EDIT 2: Assuming for the moment that you could get OS X to install. You have such an old version that your iBook is just not going to be able to run anything. I really would suggest trying to find a copy of Tiger.

20. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Eric is right. I would second that you have the wrong install disk for your iBook. Get 10.4 retail disk.

21. MrPilot macrumors 6502

haha, that was epic

22. JAW01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update.

Ok, with alot of trial and error, i was able to get it to load to log-in screen, and was able to log in as guest with no issues. on boot up, i was able to hold space bar, and able to turn of all Extensions in manager, this did the trick.

*heres the kicker.....theres an admin password ( I dont have).

I tried to re-boot with "Apple+S" but it still loaded to log-in splash. If i go into "Open Firewire" can i create a ROOT or Admin account/password there to gain control over all accounts left behind ? when the person i bought this from sold it, they left all the accounts behind ( like 200 of em) wtf.

-re-cap, So i can log in now as guest, but dont see option to create admin account? Am I missing something?

Thanks every1 for all the help so far, :)

23. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

You can put a SATA SSD in an OptiBay.

24. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In a G3 iBook? It'll run on the ATA/33 shared bus. Much more cost effective to put a Compact Flash card in the hard drive bay. Even a mid range card will max out the bus.

25. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

{SIGH}

So. How is this helpful to the OP's current situation?