Need help with ibook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Macmadant, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

My ibook G4 constantly freezes, no mouse movement, no clock movement no input whatsoever. its been doing this for ages, and just after christmas i gave up and left it in a draw, i've tried everything, wiping and reinstalling, starting up from an external HD, verifying the internal HD. it just keeps crashing and when started back up it says that osx unexpectedly quick and gives this error message. i noticed the item about the radeon 8500, so i wondered if its the graphics card, after all i can make it crash instantly by playing wow. today i removed every .kext that had radeon 8500 in it, from components in the system folder and it has since not crashed at all, although i can't play any games because it says something is missing, which is annoying due to me wanting to play games on it.

Has anyone got any ideas ?

EDIT: it just froze :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. Saliwa macrumors member

Your hardware is dying, it is time to buy a new laptop. Did you try to overclock your cpu or gpu?

3. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

4. capnjen macrumors newbie

Your g4's definitely dying. Mine gave in earlier this year and I went out and bought a new one (but the fan has started to make some really gruesome noises and I'm wondering if I should just desert Apple). How bizarre;p - I've noticed a lot of threads about people's G4's dying and they all started happening at the same time.

5. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope never tried to do any of that considering the GPU got pretty hot at times anyway, sigh... i guess i'll be forced to buy a macBook Pro:rolleyes:
    wondered if anyone thought this was worth giving a shot http://coreyarnold.org/ibook/ i opened it up before to try and shim the gpu thinking that was the problem, however i didn't have the right tool to get off the heat sink and so gave up.
    p.s just to make clear that picture is from the report that would be sent to apple when i click on report, not jut appearing by it's self

6. capnjen macrumors newbie

I had a look at that quick-fix myself when my ibook started dying. I opened mine up and poked about...then thought the better of it. There were people who had bought g4's and had them die in such a manner within months of purchasing and ours have lasted five years...That's about enough shelf life as I can ask of a notebook. The g4 was starting to become really dated and slow anyway.

7. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

i know they've become dated and slow, but i love both my g4s. they're still nice to surf the web with, word processing, and for itunes. my powerbook is still my main machine.

8. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know they're dated and slow compared to todays machines, but still very capable, i used to play wow on it quite regularly before it broke, it's also great for watching moves, listening to music, browsing the web, microsoft office and a host of other games i occasionally like to play, such as homeworld 2 and rise of nations
    :(

9. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

Since i've removed the graphics .kexts from the from the system i've been running it crash free for 1 + 1/2 days, normally it would freeze within 10 mins of starting up. can't run games without those kexts though:(

10. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

This interests me. I have an iBook G3 that has the logic board issue. I have tried physical fixes, but they don't seem to work well. Do you think removing this .kexts would fix it?

11. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well mine will boot with the .kexts so yours is probably a more serious issue. you can give it a try by removing the .kexts in the components folder in the system folder, be sure to remove the ones specific to your graphics card. i fixed an ibook g3 with the logic board issue with the tea light candle treatment
    http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/726/diy-obsolete-ibook-logic-board-repair
    it now works ok.
    on another note my ibook g4 has been working for 3 days now, i just miss playing games on it, also a lot of the perviously smooth graphics are now slightly choppy

12. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Umm my sisters started doing that, we took it in like 3 weeks ago. They said it was a problem with the HD. So they backed everything up for us and we got it back last week. Running good as new.