Need help with ideas for a website

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by kidwithdimples, Feb 4, 2010.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Me and one of my friend are thinking to start a website. We just need some more ideas.

we didn't come up with anything yet. One of our friends run http://extrabutterplease.com/

2. theark macrumors newbie

You could start a website to support Haiti, or any other humane issue, like AIDS or malaria. Those are helpful, and popular.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Play to your strengths. Since I don't know you or your friend, I have no idea what those may be. Do you have any general ideas, like the genre; a fun web site, gaming, political, personal opinion, educational, humanitarian, etc.? If you're having trouble even coming up with ideas for a site, I would avoid anything that requires you to be too creative ;)

4. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

that's a really good idea
    you're absolutely right. i should start with something simple and maybe expand on it later on. but for now we are just writing down ideas. we don't have anything yet. he wanted to do a naked celebrity website, lol. i don't know about that.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It would be very hard to compete in the naked celebrity category. There's even a site for finding the number of minutes into a movie where nudity appears. Very dedicated individuals.

You could always come up with an idea generator. Seriously. I worked with a guy that made a project generator that took lists of technology popular buzz words from around work and joined them together to create interesting project titles such as, neurological symptoms based in Bayesian models. They didn't always makes sense, but could be very funny. Others have done this too and I even know of an instance where a guy created a script that generated an entire report that he submitted to a conference and it got accepted. This of course assumes you have programming skills.

6. nStyle macrumors 6502a

My question is why would you even worry about starting a website if you don't have an idea for one?

If you just simply want a website, make a personal blog or something. You are not going to get the world's greatest idea on a forum or the person giving you the idea would already try to do it.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Web site titled: "Post Here If You Don't Have An Idea" =p

8. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Mr. Skin has a virtual monopoly - it wouldn't be high on my list of ideas!

Of course, I have absolutely NO idea who/what Mr. Skin is. :p

Okay, time to get philosophical.

Seriously, all kidding aside, the response nStyle made is really solid advice, i.e. do something meaningful and purposeful about you. Because the one thing you know well is, well, you. The larger point being starting a new and innovative and successful web site really requires the same hard work and venture capital as, say, a business startup. It requires a solid plan, resources including money, and a passion and dedication very few people share or are willing to put forth. If you're looking for that killer idea, I mean.

Did you know many of the people who invented the major web sites we all know and use, especially the more recent social networking ones, all have one thing in common? It's not luck -- some of them worked hard to recognize an open door or need, others fell into it by accident. It's not the technology or wow factor -- often times it exploits simple technology but the implementation is what makes it special. It's never money -- many startups were financed by mom and dad or started in a garage or basement.

It's PASSION.

If you got that, you WILL succeed, even if you fail a few times along the way.

Genius is really the ability to recognize something before anyone else does, and do it before anyone else could. We all can't be geniuses - otherwise it wouldn't be special. So find out what you're really passionate about and others will determine if you're a genius or not.

We could list a thousand ideas but we can't know your passion. My point is you actually already know what to do, you just need to listen to your heart and be brave enough to follow it. And don't be afraid to fail. With that said, absorb some of these ideas to help you find your own path, nothing wrong with networking to see what's out there!

-jim

9. oliverhoward macrumors newbie

Hi there, theark has given a really good idea. I second that. Good luck!

10. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Now you watch.. they'll end up being the next Google.

11. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Well, back in '96 when Google was founded, the idea centered around improving the fundamental concept of how search engines worked at the time.

Specifically:

They [Larry Page and Sergey Brin at Stanford University] hypothesized that a search engine that analyzed the relationships between websites would produce better ranking of results than existing techniques, which ranked results according to the number of times the search term appeared on a page (source: Wikipedia)

The genius of this, I think, was how they identified and focused on this basic need before anyone else had either done so or had perfected it (taken it to market). The genius was not solely in the software development either. At the time another search engine named Rankdex was out there - and Page/Brin were ultimately successful due to their passion of the basic idea combined with creating a simple but pleasing GUI and powerful back end means of handling large amounts of data. It all boils down to the classic Capitalist means of success - identifying a need and resolving it in a way that's appealing to the masses.

That's one model, or road map, of how you might approach becoming the next "Google". But I warn you, this is no "formula". If it really was that easy, we'd all be rich ($21 billion in revenues for Google in 2008).

;)

-jim

12. ChefJayPeek macrumors regular

I have to agree with Jim here. I have a blog, I do not get many visitors every day. You know what? I don't really care. I get comments about how passionate I am about what I do, and how I convey that in my blog. That is what I care about. Would I like my blog to have millions of readers and make enough money for me to retire? Actually not really. The blog is secondary to what I do. I'm a Chef. That is what I do, that is what I am passionate about. I blog about it cause it lets me collect my thoughts at the end of the day. It lets me look back over time and see how I have grown. If you just want a website to have a website, go get a blogspot one. If you have an idea you are passionate about, then focus on that first, then see if you can leverage that into a web presence. The celebrity nudity thing? Yea, Mr. Skin has pretty much cornered that market, I remember hearing him on the radio over 10 years ago. Unless you have an idea that beats his out, find something else.

Find something you love to do, then figure out how to put it on the web.

Chef Jay