Need help with iMovie 7.1.4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hwelker2, Nov 12, 2008.

1. hwelker2 macrumors newbie

I am making a 60 second long movie with a bunch of short 1-2 second clips. I import clips into the "event library" on the bottom of iMovie, take out the 1-2 second clip out and move it to the "project library."

With a bunch of those clips together, when played, they play really sloppily. At the end of each clip, it pauses for a split second, going into the next clip's time. Has anyone had this problem?

I hope I'm making sense, and hopefully someone can help me. Thanks

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

Could it be your Mac choking on the transitions between the clips, which are rendered in real time?

What kind of Mac do you have? Does it have appropriate horsepower?

3. hwelker2 thread starter macrumors newbie

When you say choking on transitions, do you mean that I've added transitions in between each clip? Because there are no transitions, but I still agree they are "choking" in between each clip. Anything I can do about this?

I have the newest iMac.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It may be choking because it is trying to render as it plays (is this HD video?). Try exporting the file as see if the choke still happens.

5. akm3 macrumors 68020

The above suggestion is a really, really good. If it renders out OK then you are having a horsepower issue.

How are the clips stored? Is it on a FireWire hard drive? Usb? Internal?

The newest iMac should certainly have enough oomph to do what you are discussing. I've never tried to edit HD though, so I don't know what kind of a hit that gives.

iMovie 06 Had to render all your changes, so that when you played it it was just playing a recorded file. But iMovie 08 makes all it's changes/titles/transitions/etc 'live' and requires more horsepower.

6. hwelker2 thread starter macrumors newbie

when i exported it to quicktime, it fixed it.

thanks a lot