need help with installing windows 10 on mac mini 2.1

hooman008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2016
hello
i just bought this second hadn mac mini 2.1 c2d 2.3ghz 4gig ram

ive tried to install wind 10 on it i got some problems after loading it , i got a x on the sound and geting no sound at all , thats the main problem as well as some usb port seems not to be working and one unrecognized device

so any ideas how i can get the sound working ?!

thanks in advance :)

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I don't believe that Mac Min is supported for windows 10.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204990
View attachment 631225
I installed Windows 10 via boot camp/upgrade from 7 to 10 twice, but each time a update messed up the video driver and I was not able to figure out how to restore it without a wipe/reinstall. This was an iMac, not a Mac mini however.

You can try to install it in unsupported hardware, hopefully you won't have the bad experience I did.

FYI, at the end of the day I just use parallels, it works great for both Xbox one game streaming, and the Logitech harmony apps to program my remote. (Last I checked, the older app was unsupported on Yosemite, the newest app broke on El Capitan.). Depending on your uses it might or might not be an alternative.

Reactions: hooman008

hooman008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2016
I don't believe that Mac Min is supported for windows 10.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204990
View attachment 631225
I installed Windows 10 via boot camp/upgrade from 7 to 10 twice, but each time a update messed up the video driver and I was not able to figure out how to restore it without a wipe/reinstall. This was an iMac, not a Mac mini however.

You can try to install it in unsupported hardware, hopefully you won't have the bad experience I did.

FYI, at the end of the day I just use parallels, it works great for both Xbox one game streaming, and the Logitech harmony apps to program my remote. (Last I checked, the older app was unsupported on Yosemite, the newest app broke on El Capitan.). Depending on your uses it might or might not be an alternative.
thank you for reply , im realy new to mac stuff like 3 weeks new lol got it for tv usage only ,
anyways i have installed the ML on it and also installed windows 10 64 , everything works on ML just lagy in youtube playback , on windows side everything is awesome but no sound , when trying to locate the typ of the audio chip i see that its some sort of intel chipest but when i wanna install the intel chipset driver the latest which i belive is 2015 it just fails ....anyideas that can make it work is appreciated

as for you Richdmoore for the GPU problem you just need to download and reinstall the GPU driver matching ur chipset thats how i made it working ,

ps youtube playback is amazing on the winodws while its supper lagy on mac os lol

im not native english speaker hope what i wrote is clear to undrestand

bookemdano

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2011
thank you for reply , im realy new to mac stuff like 3 weeks new lol got it for tv usage only ,
anyways i have installed the ML on it and also installed windows 10 64 , everything works on ML just lagy in youtube playback , on windows side everything is awesome but no sound , when trying to locate the typ of the audio chip i see that its some sort of intel chipest but when i wanna install the intel chipset driver the latest which i belive is 2015 it just fails ....anyideas that can make it work is appreciated

as for you Richdmoore for the GPU problem you just need to download and reinstall the GPU driver matching ur chipset thats how i made it working ,

ps youtube playback is amazing on the winodws while its supper lagy on mac os lol

im not native english speaker hope what i wrote is clear to undrestand
Youtube is slow on MacOS because there's no driver for Macmini2,1's graphics card in OS X after Lion.

For Windows try Driver Booster (http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php) and see if that will install the audio driver for you.

Bugsi

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2018
Necro thread, but modern update: I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, build 1903 running fine on the same hardware as OP: 2007 Mac Mini 2,1 with 2.33 GHz C2D and 4GB RAM (only 3 of which is addressable).
It was necessary to use Bootcamp drivers from the Snow Leopard install DVD, and it was necessary to disable applehfs.sys, AppleMNT.sys, and machaldriver.sys.

I got there by installing Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, then installing the Snow Leopard Boot Camp drivers, then update-installing Windows 10 Pro 64-bit build 1809, then disabling the three components listed above (which restores the ability to create a restore point, and keeps video working after the next update), then allowing Windows Update to update to 1903.

Windows 10 may not be officially supported on 2007 Mac Minis, but it actually runs quite well; better than MacOS 10.7.5 when it comes to modern web browser compatibility and security. The GMA950 graphics is definitely the weakest link, but for lightweight desktop use, the Mac Mini 2,1 runs Windows 10 surprisingly well for such lightweight hardware.

Loyola

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2004
Necro thread, but modern update: I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, build 1903 running fine on the same hardware as OP: 2007 Mac Mini 2,1 with 2.33 GHz C2D and 4GB RAM (only 3 of which is addressable).
It was necessary to use Bootcamp drivers from the Snow Leopard install DVD, and it was necessary to disable applehfs.sys, AppleMNT.sys, and machaldriver.sys.

I got there by installing Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, then installing the Snow Leopard Boot Camp drivers, then update-installing Windows 10 Pro 64-bit build 1809, then disabling the three components listed above (which restores the ability to create a restore point, and keeps video working after the next update), then allowing Windows Update to update to 1903.

Windows 10 may not be officially supported on 2007 Mac Minis, but it actually runs quite well; better than MacOS 10.7.5 when it comes to modern web browser compatibility and security. The GMA950 graphics is definitely the weakest link, but for lightweight desktop use, the Mac Mini 2,1 runs Windows 10 surprisingly well for such lightweight hardware.
I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 1909 back in March on my 2010 21.5 iMac. Windows 7 Pro worked great for years however I have had some issues with Windows 10 1909. At this point I think I have solved the constant crashing by running various scans however I still boot into a temp profile. I am wondering if my issues are related to the 3 items you disabled. Do you know of negative impacts of disabling these items? I need to google them since I am not familiar with them.

Bugsi

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2018
I am wondering if my issues are related to the 3 items you disabled. Do you know of negative impacts of disabling these items? I need to google them since I am not familiar with them.
applehfs.sys and AppleMNT.sys let you mount Mac-formatted volumes in Windows. I have no need to do that so losing that capability is not a problem for me.

machaldriver.sys supports using an Apple keyboard for using the keyboard backlighting up/down keys and the screen brightness up/down keys. I don't care about either of those capabilities either, so losing those capabilities is also not a problem for me.

Note that the original post here is discussing using a 2007 Mac Mini 2,1. Bootcamp drivers that supported that hardware were on Leopard (10.5) for Windows XP, Snow Leopard (10.6) for Windows 7) and Lion (10.7) also for Windows 7. Those apparently came with machaldriver.sys version 5.1. Newer versions of machaldriver.sys came out with later Bootcamp software for newer Macs. There are discussions on other forums indicating that a later version of machaldriver.sys work with Windows 10 build 1903 (and presumably later) on *SOME* Mac hardware. Your 2010 iMac may be able to take newer Boot Camp drivers than the ones that shipped with Snow Leopard and Lion, but newer drivers might *NOT* support the hardware in the 2007 Mac Mini 2,1; particularly its Intel GMA950 video chipset.

The symptom of the incompatibility of machaldriver.sys 5.1 with Windows 10 build 1903 is a BSOD screen with the message "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you." —It collects info, restarts and repeats. You can boot into safe mode and rename machaldriver.sys or disable it in the registry.

Loyola

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2004
applehfs.sys and AppleMNT.sys let you mount Mac-formatted volumes in Windows. I have no need to do that so losing that capability is not a problem for me.

machaldriver.sys supports using an Apple keyboard for using the keyboard backlighting up/down keys and the screen brightness up/down keys. I don't care about either of those capabilities either, so losing those capabilities is also not a problem for me.

Note that the original post here is discussing using a 2007 Mac Mini 2,1. Bootcamp drivers that supported that hardware were on Leopard (10.5) for Windows XP, Snow Leopard (10.6) for Windows 7) and Lion (10.7) also for Windows 7. Those apparently came with machaldriver.sys version 5.1. Newer versions of machaldriver.sys came out with later Bootcamp software for newer Macs. There are discussions on other forums indicating that a later version of machaldriver.sys work with Windows 10 build 1903 (and presumably later) on *SOME* Mac hardware. Your 2010 iMac may be able to take newer Boot Camp drivers than the ones that shipped with Snow Leopard and Lion, but newer drivers might *NOT* support the hardware in the 2007 Mac Mini 2,1; particularly its Intel GMA950 video chipset.

The symptom of the incompatibility of machaldriver.sys 5.1 with Windows 10 build 1903 is a BSOD screen with the message "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you." —It collects info, restarts and repeats. You can boot into safe mode and rename machaldriver.sys or disable it in the registry.
Thank you for all of the info. I know this was for the 2007 Mac Mini. At this point I am just looking for anything to help me to get Windows 10 running.

zimgodo

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2020

Hi Bugsi, mind sharing the step by step to achieve this? I have the same spec as yours, and hearing that the graphics is going to be the downside for this machine, I wonder if viewing netflix is going to be affected much by this setback.

Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.