Need help with installing windows through bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dragvinz, May 23, 2011.

1. Dragvinz macrumors member

Hi guys, i need help with getting windows on mac through bootcamp. Not the process, but just some technical questions. I got an OEM system builder pack of windows 7 Professional with SP1 and its 64 bit to install via bootcamp into my mbp. according to the box, it says that it must be preinstalled on the hard drive of the fully assembled computer system, using the OPK (OEM preinstallation kit). this can be downloaded through microsoft website. Now the thing is, do i need to install that? if so, do I first install the cd of windows 7 first, and then download and install that after? hopefully some of you guys have experienced the same problem as me and have solutions for this already. Appreciate all the help=) thanks!!

2. jkwireless macrumors newbie

There is a small possibility that you have shot yourself in the foot. Microsoft sells the OEM version and limits how it can be installed - for the exact fact that you state - it's for system builders. I'm guessing that you may have difficulty when installing it for bootcamp.

I just setup boot camp over the weekend and also Parallels so that I could install 4 additional flavors of windows (x86, x64, XP, Vista) as I am a developer and like to test our application under different Windows versions.

You won't lose anything to try out your OEM version, and if it doesn't work, my suggestion would be to buy a full license copy, or consider a microsoft TechNet subscription. For $349 (not much more than a full copy of Windows), you can acquire any version of Windows (and other Microsoft apps for that matter), that you can download to CD/DVD and they install flawlessly.

In any event - give what you have a try, I'd try the OEM disk without the extra download first, and if a No-Go, you can then try the installer download. I think the Boot Camp process is rather automated, and may not make way for you to insert this extra step.

Good Luck!

3. Dragvinz thread starter macrumors member

thanks jkwireless, i got the win 7 professional 64 bit in amazon at a price of 120 plus and decided to go along and buy it after microsoft have confirmed that it will work with bootcamp. i mean, they did confirm that it will work, but then they did not tell me about the OPK thing. I am hoping someone have the same situation as me and know whether to install that or not because if it doesnt work, i rather return it, get the money back and then change to a retail version of it. thanks again anyways, hoping to hear some more advice out there. =)